Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was doing a little more research yesterday about the rifle I want to get and I noticed one of you had recommended a Weatherby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was doing a little more research yesterday about the rifle I want to get and I noticed one of you had recommended a Weatherby

I was doing a little more research yesterday about the rifle I want to get and I noticed one of you had recommended a Weatherby Vangaurd. I did a google search and found a review of the rifle by David E. Petzel himself. He gave it 2 thumb way up. That in itself was enough to make me want this gun. I looked at it on the Weatherby website and I cound just what I wanted, for a good price, except for the scope. What I want to know is: How hard is it to mount a scope on a rifle? and, Does this rifle come pre drilled for scope mounts. Also, what hunting scope would you recommend? I know there are a bunch of answers to this question, but I want on that is rugged and will hold a zero, and adjustable without a scaled reticle.

What caliber are you considering? You should match the scope to the capability of the caliber and the hunting you will be doing. You also have to decide what features you need in a scope. There are so many very good scopes it is going to be a personal recommendation that will probably make up your mind. I like the Leupold line but have also had a $2500 Swarovski. The rifle will definitely be ready for bases, then you have to decide on rings. Also, it probably does not have iron sights so you sure want a reliable, tough scope. If you are getting a boomer, you do not want to skimp on the rings. Gather your information and look at as many as you can and read reviews - find the best one in the price range that you can spend.
    Good luck and let us know what you decided. Be sure to break your barrel in carefully and you will have a gun that will serve you for many years.

Comment

What do you mean "break your barrel in carefully"? I know some about breaking a rifle in, but I don't get the careful. What do I need to watch out for?

Comment

You need to clean the barrel from the receiver forward after every shot for the first 15 or 20 shots. Then clean after every 5 shots for the next 25 shots. Then clean as you normally do.
        This helps lap the steel to make it smooth as can be. Later on this will allow you to shoot more shots with less copper fouling.
        I use a bore snake with a patch around the brush and wet it with Rem oil and then smear on some J B Non-embeding bore cleaner. This is a fine compound that will not build up. After the J B you then need to push a clean patch through with a regular rod and jag tip before the next shot. It is time consuming but you will be glad you did.
        Don't overheat your barrel at the range. I always take two rifles so one is cooling as I use the other. Stand the rifle up with the action open to promote cooling.
        Good luck - Post pictures of you outfit when you get it together.

Comment

I've seen and handled those rifles, but I've never owned nor fired one.
          Personally, I feel the Wby brand, especially the Wby calibers WAY overratef.
          Before you get upset, I'm not saying they aren't fine rifles and superb rounds.
          I just don't care for them.
          Now.
          You asked about a scope.
          You can NEVER go wrong with Leupold. Their scopes are very rugged and extremely reliable! To get a better scope than Leupold, you're talking Zeiss or Unertl.
          Leupold's VX III in 3.5x10 or 6x20 would probably fit your needs.

Comment

Bubba,

There are two kinds of rifle owners: Those who own Weatherby's and those who wish they did.....

Comment

WAM,
              You said that right. I'm on my third!

Comment

WAM-
                Did you mean Winchester??? LOL.

Comment

I had a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 and it was a fine rifle. The only reason I got rid of it was I had it in a caliber that I didn't like and have any confidence in. The rifle was accurate and I had one with a detachable mag, which I have in all of my rifles, and it was an outstanding rifle. The adjustable trigger is smooth with no creep or drag. I hated to get rid of it but because of the caliber it had to go. You can't go wrong with the Series 2 Vanguard.
                  WAM, you have it wrong, There are two kind of rifle owners -Those who own a Sako's and those who wish they did.

Comment

I never thought I would have to wear waiters while playin on the computer.

Chewy,
                    The Vangaurd takes the same ring and base setup as a Remington 700, so you will be able to find a good quality set pretty easy. I would recommend Talley rings and bases. They are by far the best I have ever used.
                    As for the rifle, its excellent. I have an S2 in a 223 and can shoot handloads under 3/4" at 100 yds all day long. I concur with everyone's recommend that you put a good quality scope on it. Spend at least $300 and get a good Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, or even a Zeiss Conquest. You'll be glad you did.
                    Good luck on your purchase.

Comment

Look y'all, every body has there favorite rifle. It is okay that there are 6 types of gun owners. I will probably get a leopold.

Comment

I have the old style Vanguard in 22-250 and it is a solid and accurate rifle in all respects. One of the better values for the money in my opinion.
                        There are lots of good scopes but I do tend to buy Leupold.

Comment

crm3006,
                          Well, it starts with a W, anyway... See, even a Wolverine agrees!

Comment

Hey, crm'06! Where you been Sky Soldier? Owned 2 Winchesters, both 80's XTR models. The .338 Win Mag was the worst shooting rifle I ever owned and the .257 Featherweight was one of the best shooting rifles I ever had. Wish I still had the Bob.

Comment

Been around, WAM. Due to the lack of interest in trophy unicorn hunting on this site, the strange absence of C. Cooper, and a general influx of silly and repeated questions from the snileygoger crowd, when you pulled the plug, I almost did too. Mostly just read comments from those whom I respect the opinions of, and needle a little bit here and there.
                              crm

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad