Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After shooting my side lock percussion cap muzzleloader I took the nipple off the clean it. When I put it back on I noticed that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After shooting my side lock percussion cap muzzleloader I took the nipple off the clean it. When I put it back on I noticed that

After shooting my side lock percussion cap muzzleloader I took the nipple off the clean it. When I put it back on I noticed that the threads in the barrel were striped (not the nipple threads but the receiver threads that the nipple screws into...don't know what this part is called). It caused the nipple to go in a little crooked. Now when the hammer comes down, it doesn't hit directly center but rather a little lower on the cap. Will this A. blow my hand off when I shoot it B. affect the accuracy and C. will it even fire?

If it were me, I'd just have gun fixed then you don't have to worry about blowing your hand off or accuracy.

Comment

Here goes,
      C. Yes, probably.
      B. It probably wouldn't affect accuracy much since accuracy comes from the barrel and projectile.
      A. If you try shooting it you might want to get used to the nickname "stumpy".
      Like Jay said I would get it fixed and not even bother shooting it until then. If it is new you might have to send it to the manufacturer.
      Good luck.

Comment

You could lose your vision.

Hadda T/C Hawken.

The nipple screws into the breech plug assembly.

Git that part.

You should be removing the beech plug from the barrel for barrel cleaning ennyhow.

Comment

The part that holds the nipple could be blown off from the pressure. I would not trust it. Get it fixed/replaced.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

The answers to all of your questions is D. All of the above. Take it to a gunsmith and have him tap it for the next larger thread size nipple , get a new nipple and have a happy hunt from there on out.

Comment

Not knowing "which" (T/C? CVA?) brand front stuffer your shooting, it's a bit tough to be "specific". Some have breech plugs, some don't.
                If your gun has a breech plug, a gunsmith can simply replace it.
                If it doesn't have a breech plug, the nipple hole will have to be drilled out, sleeved and rethreaded.
                I wouldn't suggest removing the breech plug yourself. It takes some simple but very specialized tools and a pretty good size hammer!

Comment

Ditto~sarge01
                  Its the Safe way to GO! Before Black Power Season.

Comment

Your M/L is unsafe. Take it to a gunsmith. Nipples have been known to blow out and imbed into your brain.

A related comment: Nipple size should be standard for all M/L's. It is too easy to purchase the wrong size nipple and cross thread them.

Comment

-1? I told him the safest way to go, by not shooting it until it is fixed, is safety a cliche thing now?

Comment

My buddy at the sporting goods store who also builds muzzleloaders and is a gunsmith tells me this is not an uncommon thing. The corrosive gasses get in the threads and eat away at them. He said that it should be made a felony for the average Joe to own a nipple wrench. He said the main problem is when the average guy tries to get the nipple back into the rifle he gets it cross threaded and there are not many threads to begin with and then he is out of luck. I know that people think he is trying to drum up business but he advises having the nipple threads cleaned by someone that knows what they are doing. He has a picture up in his shop of a poor fellow that a nipple came out on him when he fired and stuck in his forehead. The picture shows his forehead and the stitches. He had taken the nipple out and got it cross threaded and removed all the threads and when the gun fired there was nothing to keep the nipple in the firearm. Lesson learned the hard way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad