Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently bought a Browning BAR .308 short trac. Semi auto with 1 to 12 twist. I am having a heck of a time finding factory a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently bought a Browning BAR .308 short trac. Semi auto with 1 to 12 twist. I am having a heck of a time finding factory a

I recently bought a Browning BAR .308 short trac. Semi auto with 1 to 12 twist. I am having a heck of a time finding factory ammo that will group decently but have not found that ammo as of yet that this gun likes. Any suggestions for factory ammo for this beautiful rifle that just can't seem to find its way. Thanks

Ouch. Reminds me of the BAR in .243 that I let go of in 2010 for the same reason.

Good luck.

Comment

I would not rule out the possibility that the rifle itself is at fault. Semi-auto rifles are not famous for shooting one-inch groups at 100 yards out of the box with factory ammo.
      Perhaps you should lower your expectations a bit.

Comment

Ah dunno...

A friend of mine hazza Browning 7mm-08 thet is quite accurate.

Ah hadda AR 10-T .308 thet liked Federal Premium Ammo, and 1" groups were no problem.

Comment

With that slow twist you may be relegated to lighter weight bullets.
          If you have tried lighter bullets, 150's or lighter bullets and they do not group, call Browning.
          If this was a used purchase, be sure the barrel is clean.
          Be sure you are shooting from a stable bench rest and double check the sight system to make sure it is secure.

Comment

I would ask Is this Rifle Scoped, If so What brand Name of Scope, That just mite be the Problem check mounts,rings,base, or the scope it self.

Comment

A Browning BAR story. As I recall, in the early 70's I ran into a nice fellow in British Columbia who had one. It was covered with silver and gold, a real beauty. I believe it was chambered in 338. There were several hunters all going off to different camps. Before splitting up at the base camp, we were asked to sight in our rifles. This chap kept easing to the back of the line, until he was the only one left. He sat down at the bench and flinched off three rounds, closing his eyes at each shot. The Outfitter tactfully asked him how often he fired his rifle. With no hesitation he replied, "no more often than I have to". I was asked to try the rifle and it shot fine.

I heard later, mercifully for the the game and his guide, on the second morning while riding out in the morning darkness he fell off his horse and and broke several ribs ending his adventure.

Comment

jhjimbo beat me to it. I would think with the slow twist that BAR should shoot light bullets better than heavy ones. I have two .308's both have 1:10 twist. Treestand might be onto something as well.

Comment

Well I better chime in on this?

Gas guns does have an achilles heal and it's the gas system. I don't believe it's the ammo or the barrel twist. Either the gas system needs cleaning or something is loose.

Another problem I've found is with scopes.
                  Make sure the gun is unloaded and find a target at 70 to 100 yards out, don't use the neighbors cat. Place the rifle on a solid table or bench and adjust the rifle to be aiming on the target hands free. Now without touching the rifle, look through the scope and move your eye up and down, left and rigs and all around. Did the cross hairs move? I'll bet this is your problem!

Hope this helps!

Comment

Our friend wallpet has not said how large his groups are. He could be complaining about 3-inch groups in the expectation of sub-MOA performance out of that rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Proverbs View Post
                      Ouch. Reminds me of the BAR in .243 that I let go of in 2010 for the same reason.

Good luck.
                      I bought a short trac 308 recently and quickly learned it liked the cheaper ammo. Remington forelock
                      And just target grade. I fired in sand bagged three times it made groups that until you looked really close looked like one hole.

Tried better quality the groups opened. Have only fired a few times.
                      I keep a book on use and results.

Remington is not bad ammo. It's just not high class ammo everyone likes these days. So try the norms. Federal Winchester Remington standard ammo.

I also sight rifle at 0 point range so as bullet rises it's in line with scope. Similar to m16 style zero. About 25m varies slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Proverbs View Post

Good luck.
                        I bought a short trac 308 recently and quickly learned it liked the cheaper ammo. Remington forelock
                        And just target grade. I fired in sand bagged three times it made groups that until you looked really close looked like one hole.

Tried better quality the groups opened. Have only fired a few times.
                        I keep a book on use and results.

Remington is not bad ammo. It's just not high class ammo everyone likes these days. So try the norms. Federal Winchester Remington standard ammo.

I also sight rifle at 0 point range so as bullet rises it's in line with scope. Similar to m16 style zero. About 25m varies slightly.

Comment

I have a .308 Short Trac, I shot 180 grains to start and found that accuracy was a problem, I switched to 150s and it got a bit better, but I wanted better grouping than 4 inches. I tried Remington, Federal and Winchester factory loads and still couldn't get under 3". So I broke down, spent the money and ordered 2 boxes of Hornady SST 150 grain. I'm getting groups under 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Be prepared to spend money, these rounds are made for hunting, but are loaded to match shooting tolerances and come out of the muzzle at a cool 3000fps. I zero at 100 yards and put the cross hair dead on out to 200. After 200 I have to start compensating for drop.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad