Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it damage a rifled shotgun barrel to shoot buckshot out of it? Are there any safety concerns? I know this has been asked be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it damage a rifled shotgun barrel to shoot buckshot out of it? Are there any safety concerns? I know this has been asked be

Does it damage a rifled shotgun barrel to shoot buckshot out of it? Are there any safety concerns? I know this has been asked before, but I guess I am just to lazy to go hunt it down. I know it will make the pattern spread. Something else, Does the shot even leave the wad while it is in the barrel, or does it come out after the wad exits the muzzle?

You Rifled Shotgun Bbl will load up on Plastic as time goes-on with the use of Shot,Buckshot,and Slugs. A good cleaning once a year or more Dep. on usage, The best way we found at the Shop was to Pre-Heat the Bbl with a Hair Dryer and Run a Heavy Dry Patch then a Brass brush.
    Hope this Helps

Comment

Yes, if you shoot a lot of buckshot thru your rifled barrel it can cause damage to the rifeling If you can buy an extra barrel with choke tubes and use improved cylinder choke

Comment

Expanding on what Tree and Deadeye said, it will also throw your buckshot in a very wide pattern, rifled for slugs, smooth for shot.

Comment

The wad is whut pushes the shot outta the barrel.

They stay in the shot cup until the resistance of the air slows it more than the shot.

In a rifled barrel, the spin causes the shot to depart in a direction tangential to the circular motion due to the rifling.

This will open the wad sooner than with a smoothbore.

Comment

It will not ruin your barrel and it will not cause any unusual build up. Sabots are shot from rifled barrels and does not foul up the barrel with plastic.

Now if you were to shoot a rifled slug from a rifled barrel it would eventually give you major issues.

The only issue with your question is why? Your pattern would be worthless. There was a show on Sportsmen Channel last year discussing this. I will look for it on youtube to give you a link. They stood 25 feet away from a human silhouette target and shot a 3in 00buck with only one pellet hitting the target.

Comment

Well, that is kinda the reason. This gun is for hog/home defense. I want to shoot slugs but if i have a target unusually close or coming at me I would like to have a little spread. I probably will not use the buckshot ever, but I would like to know, just in case. I do have a smooth bore barrel with chokes, but it is 28 in. so I want something a little shorter. Also, with a rifled barrel, this gun would be my backup deer gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                by franchi20
                I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of who...
                Today, 07:40 PM
              • Debate #2: new rules
                by FirstBubba
                New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                The "Biden Campaign"!...
                10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
              • Reply to What's after Trump?
                by franchi20
                Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                Today, 07:34 PM
              • What's after Trump?
                by FirstBubba
                No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                Today, 01:46 PM
              • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                by fitch270
                The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X