Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a chance to pick up a Savage 99 in .300 for $500. It has a scope that I would probably replace, is in good shape (wear o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffeecupmike
    replied
    I paid for the rifle on Friday and now the waiting period starts. I ran the serial number and the rifle was made in 1950. The counter works and I can't wait to get it to the range for some practice.
    Safado This is not in LA area, I'm in Northern California. It seems like there a lot of good deals on rifles in my town because most people around here focus on duck hunting, and stripper/sturgeon fishing.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    If it's a 300 Savage with the counter and walnut stock with the lever safety it is an older model and probably worth 400 or more + the value of scope and mounts. If it is in good shape and you like it, go for it. Ammo is quite common. I like mine!

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    ccmike,
    I have handled a rifle that sounds just like the one you have described in a Los Angeles area gun shop. When you described it down to the caliber and scope...the 10 day waiting period cinched it for me. If it's the same rifle you are lucky my friend that I am a bolt man not a lever man. Run don't walk and buy that rifle!

Leave a comment:

• coffeecupmike
    replied
    Yes I live in California, to understand the gun laws here you need to start with common sense and throw it out the window.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    Coffeecupmike,
    Just curious but do you live in California? The 10 day waiting period for a rifle makes me curious.

Leave a comment:

• deadeyedick
    replied
    According to the BLUEBOOK the 99 only came in two calibers .243 and .308 winchester in 1995-1997. Values of the 99 vary greatly because of the myraid of models some for as little $250 and as high as around $5000 If you can put the model on this blog I will try to give you a fair price range or go to your local library and look it up yourself.

Leave a comment:

• coffeecupmike
    replied
    Thanks everybody. If it is still available Friday when I get off work I am going to pick it up (pay for it then wait 10 days). I'm grateful for the mass reimbursment for 1 years worth of mileage I put through this month.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    The Last Savage 99s made were in 308Win 1997-8
    the last 99/in 300Sav was in 1986. your S# will tell what year made. hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Sounds like it might be an older edition which certainly isn't a bad thing. Do a check on the serial numbers. It doesn't sound like a bad deal (just not a real great one). I presume the scope is not much of anything?

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I have seen Model 99 rifles here in the Northwest for $400-600+, depending on condition, and I think the .300 Savage is a fine choice for deer. Briefly, I'd pay $500 for it if it survived my inspection.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    JMO~ At $500.00 + a scope its a steal and YES on Ammo its still made in Limited Run by Remington. NOW 257/Roberts that's very hard to find.
    If you have a shop in town buy all you can afford of 300 Savage ammo to have on hand. Good Luck on you New Purchase.

Leave a comment:

• coffeecupmike
    replied
    I need to check the derial number but it has the counter, and is a fixed magazine. The age is based on what the guy at the shop (who is a guy I've dealt with before) said though he could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I have that gun produced in 46. it's a good gun, i've tagged out elk, deer, and hope to add a bear to that tally. I would buy it in a second.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I was just to a very good gun show here in NW Montana last week and saw several 99s. From what I could see $500 would be on the high end. Especially for a later model. Some of the white wood 70s versions were much cheaper but they are crap. The end production models were better than the 70s versions but as I recall even they didn't have the indicator window on the side? Is that one a clip model or fixed magazine?

Leave a comment:

• coffeecupmike
    replied
    I have looked around and there are 2 shops in the area that carry it, and tell me that the generally have it in stock

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad