Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a chance to pick up a Savage 99 in .300 for $500. It has a scope that I would probably replace, is in good shape (wear o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a chance to pick up a Savage 99 in .300 for $500. It has a scope that I would probably replace, is in good shape (wear o

I have a chance to pick up a Savage 99 in .300 for $500. It has a scope that I would probably replace, is in good shape (wear on the bluing in on the reciever) and I think it is from the 90's. Is this a good deal. I have access to savage 300 rounds and have been looking for an excuse to start reloading.

Worth it to me, but can you get ammo for it?

Comment

I have looked around and there are 2 shops in the area that carry it, and tell me that the generally have it in stock

Comment

I was just to a very good gun show here in NW Montana last week and saw several 99s. From what I could see $500 would be on the high end. Especially for a later model. Some of the white wood 70s versions were much cheaper but they are crap. The end production models were better than the 70s versions but as I recall even they didn't have the indicator window on the side? Is that one a clip model or fixed magazine?

Comment

I have that gun produced in 46. it's a good gun, i've tagged out elk, deer, and hope to add a bear to that tally. I would buy it in a second.

Comment

I need to check the derial number but it has the counter, and is a fixed magazine. The age is based on what the guy at the shop (who is a guy I've dealt with before) said though he could be wrong.

Comment

JMO~ At $500.00 + a scope its a steal and YES on Ammo its still made in Limited Run by Remington. NOW 257/Roberts that's very hard to find.
              If you have a shop in town buy all you can afford of 300 Savage ammo to have on hand. Good Luck on you New Purchase.

Comment

I have seen Model 99 rifles here in the Northwest for $400-600+, depending on condition, and I think the .300 Savage is a fine choice for deer. Briefly, I'd pay $500 for it if it survived my inspection.

Comment

Sounds like it might be an older edition which certainly isn't a bad thing. Do a check on the serial numbers. It doesn't sound like a bad deal (just not a real great one). I presume the scope is not much of anything?

Comment

The Last Savage 99s made were in 308Win 1997-8
                    the last 99/in 300Sav was in 1986. your S# will tell what year made. hope this helps

Comment

Thanks everybody. If it is still available Friday when I get off work I am going to pick it up (pay for it then wait 10 days). I'm grateful for the mass reimbursment for 1 years worth of mileage I put through this month.

Comment

According to the BLUEBOOK the 99 only came in two calibers .243 and .308 winchester in 1995-1997. Values of the 99 vary greatly because of the myraid of models some for as little $250 and as high as around $5000 If you can put the model on this blog I will try to give you a fair price range or go to your local library and look it up yourself.

Comment

Coffeecupmike,
                          Just curious but do you live in California? The 10 day waiting period for a rifle makes me curious.

Comment

Yes I live in California, to understand the gun laws here you need to start with common sense and throw it out the window.

Comment

ccmike,
                              I have handled a rifle that sounds just like the one you have described in a Los Angeles area gun shop. When you described it down to the caliber and scope...the 10 day waiting period cinched it for me. If it's the same rifle you are lucky my friend that I am a bolt man not a lever man. Run don't walk and buy that rifle!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have heard certain powder kernel shapes are more abrasive than others on the rifling. Maybe that kind should be used to keep the carbon from forming....
                                Today, 02:24 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Pighunter: Someone on here some years back made a big deal about being Jewish and not caring for Christian morality shoved in his face. I couldn't remember...
                                Today, 02:22 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                                Today, 02:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X