Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck has happened to 22-250? There are plenty of .223 showing up in stores, some .45 cal and lots of other calibers to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck has happened to 22-250? There are plenty of .223 showing up in stores, some .45 cal and lots of other calibers to

What the heck has happened to 22-250? There are plenty of .223 showing up in stores, some .45 cal and lots of other calibers too. But no one has 22-250. Not even on line. It is not that common a caliber to have a huge demand and pretty much the same stuff as a .223/5.56? So why one and not the other? There is demand (it is sold out) and Supply (ingredients for .223 are nearly the same) and as there is competition for .223 (lots of makers) so in theory there should be greater profit margin on a 22-250? Yet none on shelves? Any amateur micro-economists have a guess?

Hey Rocky: I was shopping with a lady friend of mine at a Wal*Mart on the other side of Town, and passed the Ammo locker! And their was the largest amount of (22-250)ammo 11Boxes +/- of Rem & 3Boxes of Win,they had 270,308,243,30-06 and a large amount of 223s....Hang in there Rocky its coming.

Comment

Our AR-15 salesman of the year, President Obama, is promoting sales beyond anything we have ever seen by threatening to outlaw them. People want to get rifles and ammo while they are able. They seem to feel that they can always get a 22-250 so there is no rush. The sporting goods stores are simply responding to customer demand by stocking what sells and what they can get. A lot of popular bullets and ammo have simply been GONE! I've been working since January to acquire bullets and powders for my Fall elk hunt and still can't find the bullets I have been shooting for years.

Comment

Ah hazza business degree, as well as the others.

Businesses are profit-driven.

Since the .223 costs about the same to bring to market, and the market for .223 is enormous compared to .22-250, ammo manufacturers will wait for the .223 market to become saturated before incurring the costs of resuming production of a product with slower sales.

Comment

Bayouwoof, I think has the answer that makes the most sense. So I can expect it to be awhile for the 22-250. Thanks.

Comment

The manufacturers are getting heat from consumers asking, where is the ammunition? Some have been accused of selling all their stock to the Feds/DHS, etc. So much so that the Hornady company executives made a video for YouTube, explaining to their customers that they are working as fast as capacity allows to meet their demand. It only makes sense to please the largest customer base. That would be the military calibers for consumer use.

Comment

i'm guessing .223 is more common and in bigger demand so the bullets and powders that could be used in the 22-250 are used in .223. It's coming but like the .380 a couple years ago it will slow to catch up

Comment

The range I frequent on most weekends will have several hundred shooters. Most of them will be firing military knock off, semi autos. They each will relentlessly pound through dozens of rounds of commercial 223 ammo. The few with 22-250 are hand loaders and varmint hunters. Even when commercial ammo is available, we have a tendency to go home and sit at the reloading bench and attempt to develop accurate loads at reasonable price.

Comment

Should have added the 22-250s are bolt action, often single shot bull barrel. Hard to keep up with the appetite of military style 223's.

Comment

Once again I think Happy nailed it. I have two rifles chambered in 22-250; I handload and haven't bought any factory ammo in 22-250 in years!!!
                    Ask the sales guys where you buy ammo when they get their deliveries then get there before they open. That's the only way to get what you want these days. At the local Big 5 they take deliveries on Mondays and Thursdays. If I wait until lunchtime there's nothing left!

Comment

A lot of 22-250 shooters reload. Production is going for the most popular rounds first. Same thing happened to the .380 and 6.5X55 or 7X57. The .40 and 9mm or .223 and other popular cartridges will get preference.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Biden
                        by 99explorer
                        I just got an email from Donald Trump soliciting campaign contributions, and taking the opportunity to bash Kamala Harris, reading as follows:
                        Today, 08:02 PM
                      • Biden
                        by Danbo
                        https://justthenews.com/accountabili...ne-allegations

He is very...
                        06-23-2020, 04:55 PM
                      • Reply to Biden
                        by FirstBubba
                        Uhhmmm........?????
                        Harris is "Jamaican", if you're looking for a more adequate "racial discriptor".
                        I'm quite certain...
                        Today, 07:56 PM
                      • Reply to Biden
                        by franchi20
                        From what I've seen, the PC and woke print media capitalize the B in black but don't capitalize the w in white. When did skin color become a nationality...
                        Today, 07:18 PM
                      • Reply to Biden
                        by jhjimbo
                        Is a 'black woman' different than 'a woman of color' ?
                        Today, 07:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X