Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have some questions regarding Muzzleloaders. This season will be my third season out using my Muzzleloader, a CVA Optima. I ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I started black powder hunting with GOEX fffG.
    Therefore, I prefer loose powder.
    Black powder "grains" is a volume measure, not a "weight".
    Recently, I had the opportunity to weigh some Triple 7 powder. Both loose and pellets.
    One hundred grains (volume) of Triple 7 scales a touch over 76 grains.
    Two 50 grain Triple 7 pellets scales at 61.5 grains.
    I find the pellets very under powered.
    Go with the loose 777 and an adjustable measure. You'll find it much easier (and cheaper!) to adjust your powder charge for optimum performance.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    I also use black horn 209. Very accuarte and you dont have to swab between shots. Just make sure yoou buy magnum 209 primers. the ones normal sold for ML's do not brun hot enough to light it consistantly. I like the ones made by CCI.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I use 777 and 777 caps in my NEF with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Consider Blackhorn 209. It is very clean and I've had good accuracy out of my Omega using 90Gr and a large variety of bullet/sabot combinations. The POI may change, but the groups have always been satisfactory for my short range hunting needs.

On the other hand, it's not cheap. A guy at the range saw what I was shooting and compared it to using gold dust for powder. That gave me a good chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    As I was saying when the website threw away my last post...
    I have used both Pyrodex and 777 in my Optima with no problems shooting 100gr loads.
    That being said I agree with Amflyer. I switched to Blackhorn 209 several years ago and will never go back. It burns clean, does not absorb moisture, is non-corrosive and gives good accuracy in my muzzleloaders.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I have used my CVA-Wolf 50Cal W/20"Bbl for years I've used every type of Power & Pellets in my Wolf,My best grope is with 100Gr of White-Hot Pellets and 195Gr Sabot Hornady Bullet. I've never seen any Warnings on Tripel 7 or W/Hot pettles.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I have been shooting a CVA Optima for years. I shot Pyrodex for years but have been shooting Triple 7 pellets for the last 3 years with no problems. I have not had one not go off. I only load 2 50 grain pellets. I have never loaded 3 50 grain pellets because I get all the power that need for our Eastern whitetails with 2 50 grain pellets. I have never seen any warnings about Triple 7 in CVA guns.

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Have you considered doing away with the pellets altogether? About 80-90 grains of 777 works very well, depending on what your projectile is of course. No flaming pellets, no crud rings, no problems.

Leave a comment:

• I have some questions regarding Muzzleloaders. This season will be my third season out using my Muzzleloader, a CVA Optima. I ha

I have some questions regarding Muzzleloaders. This season will be my third season out using my Muzzleloader, a CVA Optima. I have been toying with the idea of using different powder pellets this year. I have been thinking about using a higher energy propellant than the usual Pyrodex pellets. IMR White Hots seemed to work, but have become hard to find. Plus we had some problems last year with misfires due to moisture absorption. I had been thinking about using those Triple Seven pellets, but I keep seeing these warnings about using them in CVA guns? Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad