Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 308 misfired on me today as I was out brushing up on my shooting. I like to take my deer and elk rifles out and hunt rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 308 misfired on me today as I was out brushing up on my shooting. I like to take my deer and elk rifles out and hunt rabbits

My 308 misfired on me today as I was out brushing up on my shooting. I like to take my deer and elk rifles out and hunt rabbits and rockchucks before the hunts begin to help me get in the swing of things. I had a fat chuck dead to its rights, pulled up, cocked the hammer, and click. WTF. I pulled the shell to check the primer and it looked like the firing pin hit it hard enough to dent it, but it didn't ignite it. I tried the same shell a second time and it worked, so I fired three more shots and never had another misfire. However, I'm concerned that it will do it again during the hunt, you know, right at that time when I have an elk dead to its rights. What do ya'll think would make it misfire? Its a used TC Encore I just picked up this summer to use as my thick timber hiking rifle, its also the first time its done this after firing roughly 40 rounds through it. I'm thinking it might have a weak spring for the hammer, but I would appreciate your guys thoughts as well. Also, I'm shooting hand loads with Lapua brass, and Federal Primers. Has anybody ever had a problem with the Federal primers? Thanks

Was the primer possible set too far into the case. Are you planning to hunt with your handloads or store bought if you are planning on the latter I would suggest buying some and running between 50 and 100 rounds before the season starts to see if there is a problem or not.

Comment

Sounds more like yore Encore needs a thorough cleaning.

Wrong primers will do the same thing every time.

Comment

Both of the above. I had some .450 marlin I got over energetic and set the primers slightly too deep. Just set them flush with the brass and they will be fine.
        Soak the firing pin with some 'gun scrubber' stuff as that may be part of the problem, especially if it is an inertia pin. No oil.
        After this, check your reloads and see if they work. If you still have the problem, it may be the firing pin or the spring.

Comment

All Good Answers above~~~JMO Hunt with Factory Ammo, One never knows when the Deer/Elk of a life time steps out! I had a Run of Bad 209 primers from Remington.

Comment

I'd be calling T/C just in case

Comment

Don't bother T/C it would be pointless follow all the advice the others mentioned. As much as we all hate to admit it normally the thing that goes wrong is from something we have done ourselves. This isn't always true but more time than not. I'm guessing that one shell you made was the problem. On the other hand there was an article I read last year about people having problems w/ Federal ammunition having hard primers and causing FTF.

Comment

I agree with Dcast about hard primers.
                On the range where I shoot, there is a steel box mounted on a pole with the word "DUDS" printed on it.
                As others have said, hunt with factory ammo.

Comment

I use Federal primers and never have had a problem with one but there is always a first time. Through cleaning is the first step I would take. I use handloads most of the time even here at home for whitetails but on my expensive guided once in a lifetime trips I use only factory ammo.

Comment

I'm with jhjimbo in that I think you may have set the primer too deep or may have a firing pin problem. I check my handloads by running my thumb over the case head then standing the case upright. If the primer is not set deep enough it will wobble when set upright. If it doesn't feel flush it may be set too deeply. When I had a failure to fire at the range I just needed to clean my firing pin.

Comment

CCI reputedly has the hardest primers. Next in line is Winchester, Remington and then Federal.
                      But they must be fully seated for reliability so that the firing pin does not have the task of seating them for you!

Comment

I trust my own ammo as much or more than any factory ammo. Mine always shoot tighter groups.
                        This fall I am going to test myself and see what kind of fast 2 or 3 shots I can get off from a standing position. Should be informative.. never checked group sizes like that before.

Comment

Thanks for the comments fellas. That was actually the first time I have ever had a handload fail me, even after firing a few thousand rounds through a 223, 270, & 300 over the last 10 years or so. Those rifles are all bolt actions however, and not a single shot, so I don't know if that's the difference.
                          Like many of you,I pay close attention to seating depth of the primer and usually mic a few to see the consisensy of the batch. I've found the Lapua brass to be very good in all aspects. Like Dcast mentioned, I remember hearing some complaints about Federal primers, so I thought there could be some truth to it. I have always used Winchester and Remington primers in the past and had great luck with them, so I think I'll load up some with those and compare them against the Federals. If it happens again with the Federals and not the others, I'll have some free primers to give away to any one that wants them.
                          I took the rifle apart and cleaned it good, and applied a light coat of oil on it. I think that will help because the pin had a little bit of "Sticky" stuff around its housing, and I could feel it catch just a little as I pushed it in with my finger before I applied the oil.
                          Just to be safe, I'm going to buy a couple of boxes of ammo and see what happens. Maybe I should just say the hell with it and plan on using the long ol 300 Win again.
                          Thanks again guys.

Comment

OlKrusty,
                            You should be sure to clean the firing pin and spring completely with 'gun scrubber'. Gumout carb cleaner if you do not have a 'gun scrubber'.
                            No oil, but if you feel you must use something, use something like Sheath or Clenzoil - very lightly. Otherwise, your firing pin will get sticky in cold weather and you may have a miss fire. JMHO Jim

Comment

T/C Encore, end of story.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by FirstBubba
                                Ya know bhr!
                                I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals, fly...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Up to November should be a very interesting time ! The D’s should have a easy time in that any criticism of Harris will result in racism/sexism charges...
                                Today, 03:34 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                That QAnon crap is so far out there. Ridiculous. Unbelievable that so many Americans are buying into it. But hey, why should I be surprised. National...
                                Today, 03:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X