Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have experience with the 17 Hornady Hornet? I just got my CZ 527 17HH and am trying to figure out the wind. It's alw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have experience with the 17 Hornady Hornet? I just got my CZ 527 17HH and am trying to figure out the wind. It's alw

Does anyone have experience with the 17 Hornady Hornet? I just got my CZ 527 17HH and am trying to figure out the wind. It's always blowing, though not high mph, here in MD. I'm not sure whether to just shoot it to sight in, or wait for better days.

WRF3 I have been Shooting the 17/Hornet over 35Yr,Before Hornady made loads Ammo, It has good wind bucking Qualities up to 7-10Mph, Weight for a calm day to zerro-in, You have one fine Rifle and Caliber and put a good Scope on it. I shoot an Old Winchester M/70 that was Re-barreled by P.O.Ackley in 1968 with a Old weaver steel/light 10+ Scope it shoots MOA @ 100Yd. your CZ/17H will do better. good luck with it.

Comment

Wind affects all bullets in a similar fashion. The faster a bullet travels, the less opportunity it has to be pushed by the wind. Your 17 Hornet at around 2500 fps gets to the target at 100 yards pretty fast and therefore has less time to be pushed by the wind. Tail winds and head winds have no affect on its travel so use that situation when you can for target practice.

The little .17 caliber bullet slows down real fast just like throwing pepper into the wind. Therefore if you want to see exactly what the wind does to it, I suggest getting some easy to use smart phone app like "Bullet Drop" to see exactly what happens to your bullet after you pull the trigger. You can also go to hornady dot com/ballistics for a nice flexible ballistics calculator.

Bottom line is go ahead and shoot for groups at 100 yards watching for fairly consistent wind. Only significant wind changes will mess you up. If you want to allow for wind at various ranges, it is best to use the calculators to understand what a 10 mph cross wind will do to you and extrapolate from that for your actual wind conditions at the time of the shot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad