Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a recent hospital stay, I returned home to find that two of my long guns had been stolen. The question is; should it be a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a recent hospital stay, I returned home to find that two of my long guns had been stolen. The question is; should it be a

After a recent hospital stay, I returned home to find that two of my long guns had been stolen. The question is; should it be a stiffer sentence for who steel guns or treat it as a petite or grand larceny only? (For those of you wondering, yes had the s/n's and filed report as soon as I was made aware of the theft.)

It depends on the value of the property taken. I think the threshold for grand larceny is about $400, except in New York, where it is $1,000.
    Anything less is petty larceny.

Comment

Stealing a man's guns should be a hanging offence.

Comment

A Browning Gun Safe "there is no substitute"! lol

ozarkghost, I am sorry about your misfortune. You must report it to law enforcement immediately before one of these guns pops up in a crime or a possible murder.

As far as Grand Lacency the government will add on depreciation on your guns. If you paid five hundred a piece they may say book value is one hundred per gun.

Good Luck!

Comment

Ozarkgohst,
          If your guns are insured, they might be valued at current market values.
          Firearms usually do not get depreciated but it depends on how the insurance is written.

Comment

I feel for you. A couple years ago my house was broken into while I was at work. In total there were three guns that were taken. All three got reported with numbers the second that the police were there. Prior to this all of them were hidden due to not being able to afford a gun safe. That next day, a gun safe was purchased. about a month or two after the guns being stolen I received a call telling me that one of my guns was recovered. It was the 1911 that my wife had given me for my birthday the year prior. When I asked about the gun I was told that it would probly be years before I even had the option to get the gun back because it was used in a murder. the other guns were never recovered. With the insurance make sure that you have a rider for the guns. About a month after my house was broken into to, a coworker had his house broken into that he had just moved into, they stole everything, the entire gun safe! however they had been caught on camera, when he was given the safe back it had never been opened, they tried like hell and marked up the from with crowbars and handers and a torch but never made it into the safe. The gun safe was one of the best investments that I ever made.

Comment

In my opinion thieves are the scum of the world, on a level of murders and rapists. Few month ago I had 6 guns stolen, valued at almost $10,000. In my situation I want to be the Judge, Jury, and Executioner. I feel your pain and I hope yours are recovered quickly

Comment

At one time in the distant past, I used to hide my guns in various places throughout the house.I never wrote up an inventory with the exact location of each gun, but trusted to memory, as I took them out periodically, one by one, for inspection and cleaning.
                One day I set out looking for my fine 20 gauge double shotgun stored in a leg-of-mutton case. I could not find it anywhere I looked.
                I gave up on it, thinking I must have lent it to someone, or left it with someone for safekeeping while I was away.
                Years later, I was helping my mother-in-law move some furniture in her room, and there was the leg-of-mutton case, tucked underneath a small cedar chest at the foot of her bed.
                I had hidden it so well that even I could not find it, and I thought I knew the best hiding places in the house.

Comment

When I went in the service I put all my handguns in a safe deposit box in a local bank. Total peace of mind while I was gone.

Comment

i think it schould be a fedrall offens to steal a firearm they schould be charged with a fedrall crime with same punishment of robbing a bank

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad