Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any American made, American bred cartridge(s) that are sought after on the world market? We have adopted the 6.5X55,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any American made, American bred cartridge(s) that are sought after on the world market? We have adopted the 6.5X55,

Are there any American made, American bred cartridge(s) that are sought after on the world market? We have adopted the 6.5X55, 7X57,.375H&H; and the .308&.358NormaMag created some interest, what cartridge does the U.S. export to the world?

243 Winchester, 30-06, 300 Winchester Magnum, 338 Winchester Magnum, 458 Winchester Magnum, 458 Lott

All in use in Namibia, anyway.

Comment

I think we can add the .22LR to that list.

Comment

The .30-'06 and .308 Win seems to have been met with enthusiasm. The American market seems to have recognized the metric cartridges with reluctance. We now accept the 6.5x55mm and 7x57mm, but both are over 100 years old. In discussion, it seems shooters in the U.S. have taken the oddly parochial mindset that if it didn't originate here (in the U.S.A.) then it's not worthy of consideration.
        The .308 Win and .30-'06 figure prominently in my shooting career. The 6.5x55mm and 7x57mm seem to stand out noticeably in my past (deer)hunting experiences. These days, most of my field activity is focused on varmints (small game) and I spend a fair amount of time on the rifle range in load development, so the high-velocity .22 centerfires get most, though not ALL of my attention.
        In discussion with other shooters, it seems many U.S. riflemen pay no attention to ballistics tables or objective results, and their purchases are guided by magazine writers and peers. While understandable, it's limiting.

Comment

Pretty much any country in the world, if your rifle does not show up the loaner will be an 06 or a 375 H&H.

Comment

I know the 375 is a Brit round, but it is the most popular dangerous game cartridge in America

Comment

The .22 Hornet is highly prized in Europe. Very versatile and relatively quiet compared to other center fire cartridges.
              The Hornet is also sought after by the native people who subsistence hunt northern Alaska and Canada. Tote tons of ammo and it's fairly quiet!

Comment

H. Myles & Co.!

Got a "poser" for ya!

How do you figure or explain that the .375 H&H, developed in England, didn't end up with a metric designation of 9.26mm H&H? (9.25mm?)
                The conversion factor is .0405!
                9.25 X .0405 = .375
                .375 / .0405 = 9.2593

Comment

Am embarrassed to admit am drawing a blank. Here is my guess without peeking. At the time it was developed most of the African hunters, wealthy customers of Holland and Holland, were American with some mistrust of Germany and therefore metric measurements. From a marketing standpoint it was easier to sell non metric rifles. Please, no laughing or throwing of things.

Comment

If the English use Metric, why are their cartridges in inches?

Comment

Or potential confusion with the 9.3/62 Mauser? Very popular with German settlers

Comment

Actually H. Myles, don't be embarrassed! This ain't a trick question! LOL!
                        Best I can tell, the .375 H&H was designed around the 9.5mm Mannlicher-Schoener (sp?). I'm only supposing it was so there wouldn't be any confusion between the two.
                        If anybody knows for certain, let us know!

"Enquiring minds want to know!" LOL!

Comment

The Brits built rifles for the 7x57 Mauser and designated the caliber as .275 Rigby.
                          I'm thinking they didn't care for metric designations any more than we did. England is part of Europe, but is not on "the continent."
                          Just a guess.

Comment

Bubba,
                            Garcia or Mr Reeder will give us the answer. I am a little too busy to look it up. Neat question. Best to all

Comment

Returning to the original question regarding American cartridges sought around the world, in my experience, the 30-06 is the one. Every country in Africa, Central Asia, Mongolia, China, you will find that caliber. A few examples, far above the Arctic Circle my Inuit guide carried one. In Mongolia my my interpreter proudly showed me his Remington 700 in 06. Forty years ago in Zambia my government scout watched over me with his Parker Hale chambered in 30-06 without front or back sights. He importantly admonished me it was not a Parker Hale, but rather an English Rifle. He was a great man

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad