Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. The problem I'm having is what caliber to get. I thinking of getting a 7MM-08 or a 25-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• youngfisherman
    replied
    crm3006 I am actually am going to take the gunsmithing course. is there any good places to deer hunt around Tishomingo???

Leave a comment:

• C.Hillman
    replied
    its all about personal preferance

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    youngfisherman-
    MIT is a great school, and when I lived in Tishomingo, there were two excellent sporting goods stores in the town. No problems getting ammunition of any type, and there are also excellent sporting goods stores in Ardmore, OK. (33 mi.) and Madill, OK. (17 mi.)There is also dove hunting on the school owned property, trout fishing in the Blue River, good fishing and bow hunting for rough fish in Lake Texhoma, catfish in the Washita River, and public hunting on the Hickory Creek PHA. You have made a good choice of school for one who has outdoor interests.
    Are you planning on taking Murray's gunsmithing course, by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• CJ
    replied
    You will likely find limited availability for both cartridges in many places. I would not go with either unless I handload. But that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Both are fine cartridges known for unusual knockdown power combined with light recoil. But they are different.

The 7mm-08 shoots bullets in the 100g to 195g weight range at speeds from 3350 to 2250 fps respectively although the 120-140g bullets are the most practical for the states you target. It is a little slower than the 25-06 but if you use 100 or 120g bullets, speeds are actually comparable to those weight bullets in the 25-06.

With its capability for larger bullets and slower speeds, the 7mm is preferable if you are hunting brushy river bottoms, swamps and very heavy timber. A nice slow moving 175g bullet chops through alders better than any 25-06 bullets (although I load 120s down for those situations and haven't been disappointed).

The 7mm-08 has a little too much recoil for heavy (200-500 rounds per day) prairie dog hunting (since the minimum bullet weighs 100g and ricochets pretty bad). For mule deer you can shoot at near 25-06 speeds as long as you use same weight bullets, however the 25-06 bullets penetrate better and give you a little more range as well. Both are fast enough to tag a deer just fine. If you shoot 130g or 140g bullets in the 7mm, you will notice it is much slower than a 25-06 causing tougher leads on running game like coyotes, antelope and muleys. But if you hit them, it will put them down just fine.

The 7mm may be the better choice for elk hunting but that is debatable. I have no doubt about shooting an elk with a 25-06 within 250 yards. With the 7mm you will be using 150-160g bullets for elk around 2600 fps for a range of about 250 yards as well. Although the 7mm-08 can shoot larger bullets at elk, neither cartridge is great for elk because they put too severe a limit on range (e.g. a .300 Winny will give you 600 yards so why impose limitations on such an expensive hunt and such a tough animal).

The 25-06 shoots bullets in the 75g-120g range at speeds of 3750-3200 fps respectively. This gives you the speed of the 22-250 and ultra-light recoil with highly frangible bullets for p-dogs and woodchucks. The 87g smacks coyotes and antelope out to 500 yards at 3600 fps where it outperforms the 22-250 for effective range. The 100g bullet is the typical deer load for the prairie at 3350 fps and smacks them down out to 500 yards.

At that speed, leads and holdover are minimal which helps put meat on the table. The 115-120s are for longer ranges (400-600 yards), brushy terrain and elk.

I would suggest the 25-06 for most applications because of speed. On the prairie, speed is your friend, especially if prairie dogs or antelope are on your docket. You usually aren't waiting for game to pose and often have to shoot at 45-60 mph game and posing shots over clear ranges out to 500 yards or more.

I've seen dozens of people who just can't imagine shooting a deer with a little 100g bullet. They mostly shoot 150g-200g 30-06s and just imagine that a large bullet is required. IT ISN'T. I've shot deer with numerous cartridges from .223 through .375 H&H and I can honestly say, my choice is the 25-06 because it is the easiest to get on target and it knocks them as dead as a .270 or 30-06. Out of about 100 deer and about 150 antelope I have seen shot with a 25-06, I have seen animals run from 50-100 yards about 20 times. Most without a heart or with a serious hole in their chest and jellied lungs. Most of the others were dropped flat or dropped within 20 feet. I've seen the long runs happen more often with .300 Winny's believe it or not.

I don't think there is a better cartridge than the 25-06 for the open prairie considering flat shooting speed, killing power, economical operation and light recoil. I've shot a 25-06 since 1967 and numerous family members and buddies have adopted that cartridge after they witnessed its performance on a prairie hunt with a few hundred long range p-dogs, a few coyotes, a couple antelope and a muley or two. None of them have been disappointed and I see more happy converts every year.

I'm very sorry to hear that Sarge was not pleased with his 25-06 results. He is the first 25-06 shooter I've encountered that feels that way. By the way, I've personally only seen one 25-06 100g or 120g bullet fail to penetrate a deer completely out to 400 yards... that was a Texas heart shot at about 250 yards that broke pelvis, six ribs, went through the heart and the sternum and was lodged in the brisket hide. Two years ago, I also found my second one lodged in an antelope's shattered pelvis. That was a head-on shot from 500 yards and the bullet penetrated the chest, when through the heart, about two feet of half digested alfalfa (consistency of wet cement). I use a fast expanding Sierra Game King for those longer, slower bullet speed take downs. Most of mine however have fallen to the Hornady Interlock 100g spire point, some to the Sierra Game King.

Regardless of which you choose, you will have an outstanding cartridge and a lifetime of enjoyment. Happy hunting!

Leave a comment:

• mike0714
    replied
    As az az hunter both are great rounds. I really like the .25-06 for deer and notes. But if you are going to be hunting more elk then couse or mulies then go with the bigger caliber but if you don't plan on elk hunting a ton (if you are a none resident don't expect a tag anytime soon) the go with the 25-06 for sure.

Leave a comment:

• youngfisherman
    replied
    thank you all for your replies, but I'm still having a hard time deciding.FirstBubba, I will be going to Murray State College. its a small college in a small town called Tishomingo,Ok

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Chuckles, if you do your part the 7X57 is a half-step cartridge. That's about as far as they go when hit right. I have used one in the past and it could easily qualify as one of the "if I only had one" category.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    No bad choices there. My experimentation with various calibers has led me to prefer diameter over speed but most of my rifle hunting is at such short range that the advantages of higher velocity are minimal. Both of those cartridges will be deadly at the ranges most people hunt/shoot.
    I would lean towards the 7MM-08 but that is mostly based on personal preference. I have a 7x57 which is essentially the same but have not hunted with it yet. Happy hunting whichever one you choose.
    (Get one now, save the other for later

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I know that most people will disagree with me but I had two 25-06's at the same time- my first and last. The 2 deer that I shot with the 25-06 using Barnes Triple Shoks 1 through both shoulders ran over 100 yards and 1 shot high shoulder fell on the spot , of course it would have with any rifle, and the one I shot with a Nosler 100 grain Balistic Tip through both lungs that ran over 140 yards convinced me that I didn't need a 25-06. That was the worst results that I have ever had with any deer rifle that I have ever used in my 67 years on this earth. That is why I said buy the 7MM-08. I have used one and had much better results using 140 grain Nosler Balistic Tips in the 7MM-08 on deer.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I wouldn't even hesitate. Take the 7MM-08. Good all around caliber. Much better selection of bullets and the .28 caliber bullet is much better on big game than the .25 caliber bullet.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    You've narrowed your choices to two excellent cartridges, both are chambered and available in rifles I'm sure you'll enjoy. In terms of versatility, both are at their best in the hands of a good handloader but if you're working with factory ammunition I must agree with the .25-'06. You're faced with a win-win situation, so save all of your expended brass. Should you choose to handload at some later date, you'll be glad you have a supply of brass with which to work.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    Of the two choices listed I would choose the 25-06 becasue as noted above it is a hot, flat-shooting round that can be used on varmints up to big game. The advantage to the 7mm-08 in my opinion would be the selection of bullets if you hand load.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I don't think you'll be disappointed with either round, but watch personally, I think you'll be better served with the 7mm-08! Especially if you hand load.
    What school in Ok?

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Have successfully used both calibers on deer and like them both. Probably would lean toward the 25-06.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad