Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. The problem I'm having is what caliber to get. I thinking of getting a 7MM-08 or a 25-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. The problem I'm having is what caliber to get. I thinking of getting a 7MM-08 or a 25-06

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. The problem I'm having is what caliber to get. I thinking of getting a 7MM-08 or a 25-06. what are the advantages and disadvantages of both calibers

First What State are you going to Hunt-in to choose what caliber would do you best? The 25-06 is a Fast Flat shooting round (Long Action) The 7mm-08 is also a Fast Flat Shooting round on a (Short Action) Now what Game are you after??
    Your Hunting will be??? open fields,Wood line,Heavy Woods, over a Food Plot...More Info is needed..to better help you with a Pick.

Comment

I live in Texas but visit Arizona several times a year and I will be going to college in Oklahoma in within the next two years.I will be mainly hunting deer and hogs but would also hunt bigger game in the future.

Comment

Go with the 25-06, or maybe even a 30-06. Won't go wrong with either of them.

Comment

The .25-06 will serve you well in Texas and most of Oklahoma. Some places a big, slow brush gun is better. Can't speak to Arizona, having never been there, but the .25-06 will take down an elk, with the right bullet and good shot placement.

Comment

Have successfully used both calibers on deer and like them both. Probably would lean toward the 25-06.

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either round, but watch personally, I think you'll be better served with the 7mm-08! Especially if you hand load.
              What school in Ok?

Comment

Of the two choices listed I would choose the 25-06 becasue as noted above it is a hot, flat-shooting round that can be used on varmints up to big game. The advantage to the 7mm-08 in my opinion would be the selection of bullets if you hand load.

Comment

You've narrowed your choices to two excellent cartridges, both are chambered and available in rifles I'm sure you'll enjoy. In terms of versatility, both are at their best in the hands of a good handloader but if you're working with factory ammunition I must agree with the .25-'06. You're faced with a win-win situation, so save all of your expended brass. Should you choose to handload at some later date, you'll be glad you have a supply of brass with which to work.

Comment

I wouldn't even hesitate. Take the 7MM-08. Good all around caliber. Much better selection of bullets and the .28 caliber bullet is much better on big game than the .25 caliber bullet.

Comment

I know that most people will disagree with me but I had two 25-06's at the same time- my first and last. The 2 deer that I shot with the 25-06 using Barnes Triple Shoks 1 through both shoulders ran over 100 yards and 1 shot high shoulder fell on the spot , of course it would have with any rifle, and the one I shot with a Nosler 100 grain Balistic Tip through both lungs that ran over 140 yards convinced me that I didn't need a 25-06. That was the worst results that I have ever had with any deer rifle that I have ever used in my 67 years on this earth. That is why I said buy the 7MM-08. I have used one and had much better results using 140 grain Nosler Balistic Tips in the 7MM-08 on deer.

Comment

No bad choices there. My experimentation with various calibers has led me to prefer diameter over speed but most of my rifle hunting is at such short range that the advantages of higher velocity are minimal. Both of those cartridges will be deadly at the ranges most people hunt/shoot.
                        I would lean towards the 7MM-08 but that is mostly based on personal preference. I have a 7x57 which is essentially the same but have not hunted with it yet. Happy hunting whichever one you choose.
                        (Get one now, save the other for later

Comment

Chuckles, if you do your part the 7X57 is a half-step cartridge. That's about as far as they go when hit right. I have used one in the past and it could easily qualify as one of the "if I only had one" category.

Comment

thank you all for your replies, but I'm still having a hard time deciding.FirstBubba, I will be going to Murray State College. its a small college in a small town called Tishomingo,Ok

Comment

As az az hunter both are great rounds. I really like the .25-06 for deer and notes. But if you are going to be hunting more elk then couse or mulies then go with the bigger caliber but if you don't plan on elk hunting a ton (if you are a none resident don't expect a tag anytime soon) the go with the 25-06 for sure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad