Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a good deer gun before the gun season opens in Georgia (Oct. 19). I've used shotguns, but would like a rifle. I'm 15, to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good deer gun before the gun season opens in Georgia (Oct. 19). I've used shotguns, but would like a rifle. I'm 15, to

I need a good deer gun before the gun season opens in Georgia (Oct. 19). I've used shotguns, but would like a rifle. I'm 15, to young for a public job, so I've done odd jobs and saved some money. Anybody have any suggestions for a good deer rifle or shotgun that's in the $200-300 range?

If I were your age I would consider the NewEnglandFirearm (NEF) single shot rifle. A caliber like a .44Mag, 30-30, .243, 25-06, etc. would serve you well for deer. As funds allow you can add a shotgun barrel, a 12ga rifled shotgun barrel or even a 50cal muzzle loader.
    I have three receivers and barrels in .223,22-250 .308, 45/70, 12ga., and 50cal muzzleloader. All of them are great shooters.
    Go to NEF web site and you can see a list of barrels they have made. On E-Bay, almost every day there are barrels available of various calibers. Barrels are reasonable and no FFL required to buy one. Just make sure you have a
    receiver that can handle the center fire calibers. Some receivers are shotgun only.

Comment

JMO~ Try looking in to the Used Gun Market at Pawn Shops and Gun Shows your in a limited Range with $200/$300, you don't say what type of Rifle you want, look at Lever Guns Marlin 336,Winchester M-94 in 30/30 or 35 Rem,Savage M110-270.30-06,243,308,7mm-08 all good White Tail Calibers. all above are in your Price Range Used.
      Good Luck Safe Hunting

Comment

Can't go wrong with a Marlin lever action 30-30, should be able to find a good used one at your local gun store, great gun for a young shooter IMO

Comment

rem. model 700 in 30-06 or marlin 30-30

Comment

Ah seen a Marlin .30-30 in a gunshop here for $150.

Comment

If you can use a shotgun, a .30-30 Winchester will serve your needs well, expand your range, and be a good "go to" rifle later on down the road.

Comment

A 270Remington will do the job for deer hunting

Comment

I saw an article on the main page about budget hunting gear. They had a rifle in it that was around $300 i think.

Comment

Of what you've seen and worked with, have you developed a preference? Is there an action that you've done well with or a model that appeals to you? There are many possible responses, but your preferences would narrow the field considerably so we can more intelligently and more pointedly answer your question.

Comment

used market is where you need to be...really not to many guns in that price range new off the shelf are worth purchasing.

Comment

Check pawn shops and gunbroker.com (sort by price and see what you can get in your range). In most cases, you will have to use open sights so something like the Marlin or Winchester 30-30s are easy to carry and easy to aim without a scope. Most Rem 700s, Savages, etc. don't have iron sights on them so you need a scope and mounts too. Most of these that are of high enough quality to hunt will cost around $200 minimum. Best of luck! Enjoy hunting!

Comment

30-30 is a good gun. It's good in brush and won't kick your arm off when you shoot it. Flea markets are good places to find guns and seeing how you're so young would be you're best bet since you are not of legal gun purchasing age. You might even find a good deal and be able to have money left over for a scope.

Comment

A 30-30 is a great gun but I often disagree with it being a starter rifle. There is no safety on a 30-30 and a lot of accidental shootings are caused by this rifle.
                            For a good begginer rifle first of all, go used. There are lots of great used guns out there. A .243 will take deer just fine and has very little recoil and they are generally pretty cheap. If recoil isn't a factor for you then you can't beat a 30-06, 270, or 308. All great deer rifles.

Comment

The NEF Handi-Rifle is a pretty neat.
                              They are a very good platform for multiple barrels.
                              BUT!!
                              Extra barrels MUST be fitted at the factory. You can't just buy and swap out barrels like the Encore and Contender platforms.
                              I have two Handi's.
                              One in .22 Hornet and a .270 Win.
                              The Hornet is a shooting dude! The .270 wouldn't hit the side of a barn!
                              I packed it up and shipped it back to NEF. They returned it with a three shot, .75" target. All for no charge.
                              I urge anyone having accuracy problems with a Handi, return it to the factory. My .270 is now an amazing shooter!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad