Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After reading Petzal's article, "Easy on the shoulder," in the August issue, I'm giving serious thought to installing a muzzle b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After reading Petzal's article, "Easy on the shoulder," in the August issue, I'm giving serious thought to installing a muzzle b

After reading Petzal's article, "Easy on the shoulder," in the August issue, I'm giving serious thought to installing a muzzle break on my rifle. I have a New England Firearms .45-70 Government Handi-Rifle that kicks like a sonofabitch. My two questions are, will a muzzle break work with the Handi-Rifle, and why isn't there more mention of .45-70 Government rifles in hunting circles?

i often speak about my 1895 in .45-70 gov as my big bears and hog gun. I would not want to put a brake on my rifle though. the rifle already sounds like the heavens are about to open every time i shoot it. a brake would make it nearly too loud to shoot. It would also add weight to a light accurate rifle. But i have shot the gun for years and i am use to the recoil. If you absolutely can't handle the recoil then a break my be possible. thought i have never seen a break on a single shot rifle. (i tend to avoid muzzle breaks at the range because of how loud they are and i don't have one on any of my guns).

Comment

i often speak about my 1895 in .45-70 gov as my big bears and hog gun. I would not want to put a brake on my rifle though. the rifle already sounds like the heavens are about to open every time i shoot it. a brake would make it nearly too loud to shoot. It would also add weight to a light accurate rifle. But i have shot the gun for years and i am use to the recoil. If you absolutely can't handle the recoil then a break my be possible. thought i have never seen a break on a single shot rifle. (i tend to avoid muzzle breaks at the range because of how loud they are and i don't have one on any of my guns).

Comment

sorry about the double post.

Comment

Have you considered mounting a good slip-on recoid pad first? Sometimes just this simple fix can make a world of difference without making any permanent modifications to the rifle itselt, costs less, and doesn't annoy any shooters next to you at the range (if you take it to a range).

Comment

Recoil pad, reduced loads or additional weight. All viable options that would be cheaper and not have the "noise" factor.
            It's a Handi Rifle, buy another or trade for a lighter caliber.

Comment

Call www.magnaport.com and see if they will do it.

You don't hear much about the .45-70 cuz it kicks like a MoFo and makes a lotta noise and izza short range rifle.

Comment

I'd recommend starting with a Limbsaver recoil pad first and see if that does it for you. It will always make shooting more pleasant, even if you eventually add a muzzle brake. You can certainly add a muzzle brake but it will be quite loud for hunting. If you go that route, I'd suggest getting your muzzle threaded and install a removable break. You can enjoy the reduced recoil during practice and any shooting that lends itself to ear protection. Then, while hunting, you can screw on the thread protector. The recoil won't be so noticeable if you have a bear in your sights.

I think a 45-70 is a very interesting cartridge but you don't see too many of them because most people don't need that much fire-power for close range deer and varmint hunting. Nor do most people enjoy the fierce recoil. They are also a relatively short range cartridge so their are many better choices for hunting in longer range hunting situations. If you are hunting close quarters in thick brush for mean critters like Russian boars and bears, it is a proven stopper though.

Comment

As stated above, a good recoil pad might solve your problem. There are a couple of other options available. Try adding weight to the stock by using bird-shot. Any reputable gunsmith can either do this for you, or simply tell you how.
                  There are mercury recoil dampeners available as aftermarket accessories that cut felt recoil by as much as 40%, if you believe the advertising claims. I would try all of the above before adding a brake to a single shot rifle. More cost than the rifle is worth.

Comment

I have the Handi-Rifle with the 45-70 barrel and hear where you are coming from.
                    I use extra sand bags when shooting from the bench and when shooting in the field usually do not even remember the recoil when shooting at game.
                    I would try more protection when shooting from the bench, like a PSST shoulder pad and accept the recoil for the occasional shot in the field.

Comment

I have to agree with the posts above recommending a recoil pad before you put a muzzlebrake on. They are loud enough and it will likely do some serious damage to your hearing and to those around you.
                      I have two 45/70's, a CVA that goes 9lbs 9oz with scope and a Henry lever action the weighs 8lbs 10oz. Both have cushy recoil pads and while the recoil with the 300gr Barnes Vor-tx ammos is stiff it is manageable. Maybe figure out how add some weight as mentioned above as well. A muzzlebrake will likely make it even less fun to shoot despite the reduction in recoil. Good luck finding a solution I really enjoy shooting both of mine. Fun cartridge!

Comment

Try a Limb-Saver Slip-on Recoil Boot or trade it in for a Marlin 1895/450 Lever Gun a much better Gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by 99explorer
                          I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                          Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                          Today, 10:19 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                          by FirstBubba
                          "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                          Today, 10:15 PM
                        • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                          by derek7
                          Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                          08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by 99explorer
                          Keep it up.
                          We are still waiting for an answer to my question in comment #56.
                          Today, 10:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X