Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I plan on going pig hunting in South Carolina and want to use my savage edge chambered in 7mm-08, using a 140 grain federal prem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I plan on going pig hunting in South Carolina and want to use my savage edge chambered in 7mm-08, using a 140 grain federal prem

I plan on going pig hunting in South Carolina and want to use my savage edge chambered in 7mm-08, using a 140 grain federal premium fusion round, is this enough gun?

It should be adequate for the vast majority of shots presented, but I would prefer a heavier bullet. I think the 154-grain is the heaviest factory loaded round.

Comment

It will be fine. Keep your shots reasonable and put them where you are aiming.

Comment

That should be fine. The only difficult shot is head on in the chest. Hogs over 300 pounds have a three inch thick "shield" that is like saddle leather. It flexes and absorbs the shot, stopping the bullet without penetration in most cases. It has been known to stop a .270 140g bullet without the bullet fully penetrating the skin. I've personally seen is stop a hot .357 slug from 20 yards. That is where heavy for caliber bullets are an advantage. As 99 says, heavier is better. The 175g Nosler Partition bullet would do the job as would the 168g Barnes.

Comment

The 7mm-08 is a fine choice, and I think you're well equipped with it. Let us know how the trip went when you return!

Comment

I have used the 7mm-08 for over 25Yr with Hornadys 139Gr SST and never lost a Deer Yet,YOU are well Armed for Deer,Black Bears and even Hogs will fall with Proper Bullet placement. Safe Hunting....Shoot Straight Join the NRA.

Comment

Yep. Plenty adequate. Any .30-30 Win class cartridge is more than adequate.
              Yeah, bigger pigs can be pretty tough, but ain't none of 'em bulletproof!
              I've taken pigs with a .22LR, .22 Hornet, .30-30 Win., .270 Win and a .54 T/C Renegade.

Comment

30-30 150 grain even do just fine, I used 30-06 with 130 Hornady Soft Point and it knocks them down with change left over!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad