Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want a wolf/coyote caliber for a dedicated predator rifle most shots will be 300 yards and under so what caliber would be the be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Confirmed wolf kill in Kentucky. I think I have seen a wolfe in S.Ohio several years ago.
    Lions, wolves, pigs, bears, coyotes, gotta have eyes in the back of your head.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Another vote for the 25-06. 85g-90g bullets will do the job just fine @ 3600 fps but if you need to deck a wolf at 500 yards, the 100g @ 3350 fps are deadly too. It just gives you more velocity, range and knockdown power than the .243. If you are hunting in territory where you need to deck a bear, the 25-06 with 115g Barnes or 120g Nosler Partition bullets @ 3150 fps will fully penetrate the biggest of bruins with shocking knockdown power inside of 100 yards.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    Another vote for the .243. I love mine.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    idahooutdoors, who use to post here often years ago, was the first person to legally kill a wolf in Idaho for more than 100 years. He killed it with a .243. Tikka I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Colby Dunphy
    replied
    yes sir

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    If you're tallying the vote count, add one more for the .243 Win.

Leave a comment:

• Colby Dunphy
    replied
    Yes sir i would like a new rifle as i said it is dedicated to predators so the 25-06 is fine im just trying to decide on a rifle what do you think about Remington @ Happy Myles

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I have a load for my .308 with Hornady 125 grain SST's traveling quite fast. I think they would make a fine wolf load. If I ran into some bigger critter I could always shove in one of my 180 grain Hornady Interbond loads. Maybe they would keep some fanged or clawed critter away from me.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Sure. Unless you want to buy a new rifle. I have written here before a good friend, who spent his whole working career as a a predator control officer in Montana, used nothing but. 25-06, including for filling his freezer with elk and deer in the Fall. When I used to predator hunt seriously I used a 22-250 or a 25-06. However, am sure over my lifetime killed more coyotes with an 06 or a 270, because that was what I was carrying when opportunity struck. Kindest Regards

Leave a comment:

• Colby Dunphy
    replied
    so should i just go and use my 30-06?

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Pray-hunt-work,
    Thank you for your kind words. I was afraid I could not get away with wolves prowling around packing heat. Other than that some of my stories are even true

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Happy Myles- You've sold the book nearly a thousand times over. Now comes the joy of transcribing the memories on paper. I would prefer a coffe table edition, but would love to read even the editing notes! The reference made the other day likening you to "the most interesting man in the world" wasn't very far off at all. Happy hunting, and watch out for the gun toting wolves in Mongolia!

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I meant to write, I was carrying the 300, not the wolf. It happened in Mongolia

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Sometimes out West wolves are located where other animals of large size roam. For example, elk and moose, if you have a tag you are in business. Once, in British Columbia we returned with horses to pack out a Mt Caribou and there was a grizzly on one side and a pair of wolves on the other sizing one another up. Keep these possible events in mind when choosing a caliber. The only wolf I ever killed just happened to be carrying a 300 Win Mag. Kindest Regards

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Looking for a coyote/wolf caliber is like looking for a woodchuck/moose caliber. The .22-250, .223, or .204 that will flatten a coyote will only serve to pi$$ off an already very dangerous, very large alpha predator. If you were lucky the other wolves would tear apart the wounded wolf before it killed you. If you were very lucky you would be able to escape to safety while they were killing their comrade before having tasted blood they turned on you.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad