Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want a wolf/coyote caliber for a dedicated predator rifle most shots will be 300 yards and under so what caliber would be the be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a wolf/coyote caliber for a dedicated predator rifle most shots will be 300 yards and under so what caliber would be the be

Want a wolf/coyote caliber for a dedicated predator rifle most shots will be 300 yards and under so what caliber would be the best

I would seriously consider nothing less than a .243 Win or .250 Savage. I normally recommend the .223 or .22-250 for coyotes, but mature wolves have greater body mass, cling every bit as tenaciously to life, and will require (in my opinion) a little more energy.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

i was thinking a remington 700 xcr 2 with a 4-12 in 25-06 would be great? or is remington still having problems

Comment

Remington is always having issues!
          JMO~ The 260(6.5)Rem,243Win or 204 Ruger they have Very low Recoil and would put the Hammer on Coyotes at 3ooYd.

Comment

.243 would work, I would say you could go all the way up to .308 to make sure you have the energy to take a wolf at longer ranges.

Comment

A .25-06 would do you well IMHO. At 300 yds you're traveling 2400 fps with right around 10-11 inches of drop depending on bullet selection. You're only punching a .257 diameter hole and still gettin minimal recoil per performance. I call it a great choice for coyote or wolf. Where are you considering hunting?

Comment

I would go with the 25-06.

Comment

.243 up to a 25-06 would do the job.
                  If you reload and want to use an AR type gun the 6.5 Grendel would do the job.

Comment

Ifn Ah still had it, Ah wood use mah .50 BMG on wolves.

Comment

I would also go for a 243 or 25-06. Just for the versatility if needed and if wolves are going to be a frequent target.

Comment

i plan to be hunting in the rocky mountains my main quarry is wolves what do you guys recommend for a rifle

Comment

i plan to be hunting in the rocky mountains my main quarry is wolves what do you guys recommend for a rifle?

Comment

.308 if you want to put em down easily plus you never know what you may run into...I would recommend the Ruger American Rifle it's a great gun for the money

Comment

I thought wolves are protected??

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                No fires in the unit I was going to hunt, just bad conditions and part of the same National Forest as all the fires.

I am hunting a unit...
                                Today, 08:47 PM
                              • There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by crm3006
                                From Danbo: "Some of the cases that SCOTUS will hear next month. No 2A cases yet but I expect that to change."

We can only pray...
                                Today, 08:31 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by rock rat
                                Maybe you all don't understand how the legal process works. If someone isn't breaking any laws then we leave them alone here in the US. Just how things...
                                Today, 08:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X