Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for the perfect all around hunting rifle caliber. It would be used for rabbits to a trophy deer maybe a black bear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for the perfect all around hunting rifle caliber. It would be used for rabbits to a trophy deer maybe a black bear.

I'm looking for the perfect all around hunting rifle caliber. It would be used for rabbits to a trophy deer maybe a black bear. I could really use some advice on this one, thanks.

If you want want to stay away from a shotgun, and yet you want a caliber that won't decimate any rabbit you shoot at but can take a deer; a .243 would be the caliber for you. You would just have to be very proficient with the weapon. Shot placement would be crucial, both with the rabbit all the way up to the deer. (you would have no head left on the rabbit)

Comment

Look at the NEF(New England Firearm) with a .308 barrel for deer and bear and a 20ga barrel for small game.

Comment

270 or 30-06

Comment

Rabbits AND black bear?

Gotta make room in your safe for yet another rifle!

Comment

I agree with bayouwoof.
            You might need to get a .22 and then a 30-06, .270, or something like that.

Comment

From rabbits to black bear...that requires considerable versatility! I might recommend the .257 Roberts, the .25-'06, the 7mm-08, the .308 Win, or a few others, but you must understand that a rifle adequate for black bear is going to be a bit excessive for rabbit. Very certainly, there's a number of cartridges that will cover the spectrum, but a median choice won't be ideal for one extreme or the other. For years, I used a .30-'06 for everything, and a gentleman (a better hunter than I, I might add) relied solely on a .270 Win., but both of us had to acknowledge practicality and purchase a .22-250 for varmints and coyotes.

Comment

WoW all in one Gun...look at the NEW Savage Mod 42
                Combo O/U 20Ga or 12Ga/30-30 That would give you a Small game taker and Deer/Black Bear Taker, you could load a Slug over the 30-30 also!
                or Buy Two Guns one Shotgun and one Rifle in 30/06.

Comment

I don't know if you could find one perfect rifle/caliber that could cover down on all those species, and if you could it would probably be cost inefficient (which I assume you are trying minimize cost). You might be better off buying two guns, maybe .223 for your varmints and a 30-06 for your mid/large game. You can find plenty of quality rifles in both calibers at probably a lower cost combined than finding the perfect wildcat round and rifle.

Comment

'Bout all I can think is if you handload.
                    I would consider something like the .308 Win and build some squib loads.
                    Sierra builds a 110 gr bullet. Loaded properly, you should be able to punch a bunny and still have din-din.
                    A "squib" load is "antique-speak" for "reduced load".

Comment

Whats perfect for Bear will be Overkill on a Rabbit if You aren't Planning on eating the Rabbit get a .270 or .308 try a .243 if you want to turn the rabbit into Dinner but if you enjoy Disappearing bunnies get a good bear caliber

Comment

Whats perfect for Bear will be Overkill on a Rabbit if You aren't Planning on eating the Rabbit get a .270 or .308 try a .243 if you want to turn the rabbit into Dinner but if you enjoy Disappearing bunnies get a good bear caliber

Comment

Think about 2 rifles a big game rifle and a rimfire. Its better than trying to get one to do it all. If you go with affordable weapons and shop around the price difference is negligible. Or go with NEF and buy two barrels as was suggested by jhjimbo.

Comment

Hey Guys, don't throw black bear hunting with shotguns under the bus.

In New Jersey we can only use shotguns with slugs or a 50 caliber minimum muzzle loaders during bear season. The Jersey bear hunters are knocking the bears down for the count.

Shotguns and muzzle loaders just don't have the range killing power as rifles.

Comment

If I was you I would buy a nice 30-06 and a used .22. spend enough on the 30-06 to get a nice one, and then take whats left and get a .22. rabbits to black bear is very broad, and I don't think that it is a one rifle situation.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad