Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the dumbest thing you have seen someone say or do at the range or gun store. when I was buying some cci subsonic .22 bul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The purchaser of a Remington Model 700 chambered for 7mm Remington Magnum was sold two boxes of 7mm Express Remington (.280 Rem) by a salesman at a shop in Orange County (CA) who assured him, "They're the right cartridges for your rifle."
    He took his new rifle to the range, where I was sitting on a nearby shooting bench. After firing the first round, the case ruptured in the chamber, sending hot gases back at the shooter (who wore eye protection), but the shooter chambered another round and fired a second time!
    To its credit, the Rem 700 contained the pressure, but this cartridge also ruptured, and we later picked little pieces of brass out of his face with a pair of tweezers. He approached me and asked, "Could you tell me if something is wrong with my rifle?"
    The shooter was inexperienced, not stupid, and he was misguided by someone who should have known better. I accompanied him back to the shop, where the salesman explained, "I usually sell fishing tackle. I thought they were different names for the same cartridge." I thought he was the village idiot.

Comment

Several times in recent years I have packed up my gear and gone home because of nearby shooters unsafe handling of firearms. Several times over the years have seen folks putting the wrong ammo in rifles .many years ago at a trap range a depressed fellow rented a shotgun at the sporting clays range then blew his brains out.
      I rarely go to sporting goods stores here in LA. anymore most of the gear is paramilitary and few employees speak English. I am a hunter and between my poor hearing and even poorer Spanish it is not worth while. Most of my purchases are through the mail or at the various annual conventions

Comment

As I have related here before, I saw the results of a rifle chambered in 7mm magnum having fired a 7mm Express Remington (.280 Rem). Ouch

I was in a Sportsmans Warehouse when I overheard a dimwit in the gun department tell an inexperienced shooter, "Yeah, that .300 Winchester Magnum will work in your rifle, that .300 Weatherby is just Weatherby's expensive brand of ammo." As soon as she flitted away, I told the lad he best use the same headstamp as on the rifle barrel. He didn't know much better, either. I asked him if he had been through Washington Hunter Education program and he asked, "What's that?" As for the clerk, I think she is over at Best Buy selling cell phones now. I believe she was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond before their store closed and she went to selling hunting gear...

Now you ask why I hunt on private land away from the unwashed masses? I survived over 600 days of combat zone time back in the day and prefer to expire from something other than gunshot.

Comment

Where to begin!
          "Do you have a stronger firing pin spring for a Colt 1911?"
          Smith, "Why? Won't your gun shoot?"
          Ace, "Sure, but I'm not getting the velocity I'm looking for. I figure if I had a little stronger firing pin spring....."

Rich guy, places a brand spanking NIB. Leupold 3.5x10 on Smithy's bench. No rifle, no rings, no base! "Set this for 250 yards. I'll pick it up tomorrow." Then exits store.

Asking to look at nice custom rifle in high dollar Dallas gun store.
          Superb FN action with absolutely exquisite wood and flawless wood to metal fit. The barrel is stamped ".333 G&H Magnum"! My off the cuff remark was, "I'd like to see a round for that!"
          Kid begins fumbling through factory ammo and states, "I'm sure I've got some here somewhere."

Guy buys a Raven .25 Auto and a box of .257 caliber bullets from the reloading section. Returns in 30 minutes with a .257 bullet with firing pin dents in the base bellyaching because his gun won't shoot!

Phone call, "Can I shoot a .303 British in a .30-40 Krag?"
          Smithy, "Is your life insurance paid up?"
          "No life insurance? Then I wouldn't try it."

....and on and on and on...

Comment

The dumbest thing you can say while in a gun shop is "Here's what you need honey"!

Comment

A few years back, I did adventure into a local chain store, while gazing at firearms a clerk asked what I might be looking for. I mentioned Africa, he instantly began a discourse on that subject which startled me to say the least. He had a half dozen rifles to suggest none of which I would dream of taking. I finally got him slowed down, and gently explained I had been there almost forty times. It still took him a bit to tame down. He had never hunted in his life, but I finally had to walk a way. Kid was a good salesman. Hope I never walk into him in the woods

Comment

Amflyer, the guy was saying that the bullet diameter was not the same. He knew because "if you convert the 5.56 to caliber size it works out to be .224." I have heard this so many times over the years I have lost count. Yes there is a difference in the leade and chamber pressure which can have catastrophic consequences, but his assertion was that the .001 difference makes it an entirely different round.

Comment

Happy Myles, you hunted Africa forty times? Fantastic and I'm impressed!

I bet you have great hunting stories about the Dark Continent.
                  Happy, did you ever think of writing a book.

Comment

Happy Myles, that's the problem with being a BS'er or know-it-all. Sooner or later, you run into someone that actually knows the way things go..

Probably much like the shootists of old, I would imagine.

Ozarkghost, that individual is going to have a hard time with the vagary of cartridge names being what it is.

Comment

Amflyer, I agree but as with so many other misguided individuals out there he knew what he knew and there was no changing his mind in the face of the facts. My apologies to anyone that falls into that category, if you are offended by that remark. It's just that the older I get, the clearer the difference between that spade and that shovel becomes.

Comment

@WAMtnhunter, that clerk didn't happen to work at the Lacey, WA Sportsmans Warehouse, did she?

Comment

One of the most startling events occurred inTanzania several decades ago. A very successful business man arrived for a 21 day safari and did not know how to load his rifle, a 375 H&H a heavy recoil which he had never fired. His main goals were all dangerous game, lion leopard, Cape Buffalo. How would you like to be his professional hunter or tracker?

Comment

Wal-mart had their muzzleloaders 10 percent off. An employee told me that they marked down because they were toys, not guns.

Comment

I can't explain it, but gun shops tend to hire some of he worst dorks I have ever encountered. The fact that people with their lack of knowledge and their irritating personality are able to land jobs dealing with the public is astounding.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad