Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the dumbest thing you have seen someone say or do at the range or gun store. when I was buying some cci subsonic .22 bul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the dumbest thing you have seen someone say or do at the range or gun store. when I was buying some cci subsonic .22 bul

what is the dumbest thing you have seen someone say or do at the range or gun store. when I was buying some cci subsonic .22 bullets I was told that " they barely get out of the barrel" and, " they wont even make it to the target." or something like that. what have you heard/seen?

Having run ranges for a good number of years in the U.S. Army, I have seen a lot, and seen a lot of "immediate corrective action", also. Civilian ranges sometimes scare me to the point of packing up and leaving. As to some of the "indisputable truths" dispenced by the clown that is usually nailed to a counter in most of the big box stores, here are a few, previously published in DEP's blog.
    I have received a lot of very odd advice and comments, most stated as indisputable fact, from the Guy at the gun store. Among the classics: 1. CCI Mini-Mag solids are "armour piercing" rounds. 2. There is no such thing as a .222. "Sir, it is a .223." 3. A Springfield Armory M1A is a "machine gun" and cannot be bought. 4. Only Savage makes left-handed rifles, and they are "cheap and no good." 5. There is no such thing as a .41 Remington Magnum. "it is a .44 Magnum, like Dirty Harry used."
    6. 7 1/2 shot won't kill doves. It is only a trap load.
    7. "A .30-'06 won't kill a deer past 300 yds." 8. Have been offered .45 ACP for .45 LC, and told "They are the same thing."
    9. "You can't change the barrels in a Remington 1100. It has to be done at the factory." 10. "You don't need to clean your black powder rifle if you use lard for patch lube. That's what the mountain men did."
    There are more, but I think these are the top ten.

Comment

1. 5.56mm and .223 cal are not the same size.
      2. 20 ga's cannot be used to hunt deer.
      3. You can saw off a shotgun barrel to less than 18 inches as long as the overall length of the gun is more than 18 inches.
      4. .22's, either rifle or pistol, are not deadly weapons.

I guess that is about it.

Comment

I have been asked were the dial is to set the choke. I was shocked!

Comment

Ah seen a local kid at a gun store, acting like a gangsta with bad intent, handling a .22.

The next week, Ah seen cop cars all over his yard with blue lights flashing.

Comment

The one that irked me the most wasn't from ignorance, but arrogance. I went into a local gun shop in Fairbanks, Alaska and asked the guy behind the counter what they had to offer "in 44". Being Alaska, where the .44 Magnum is an extremely common caliber to carry for bear defense, the guy surely knew exactly what I meant. Every other clerk in a gun store certainly would have. But this guy copped the most condescending attitude he could muster and says, "Well what caliber do you need, son, we have lots of 44's. .44 Special, .44 Schofield, .44 Magnum..." Yes, I used an imprecise term, but that is no reason to be a jerk to someone trying to give you money. I haven't been back, even though it is a nice store.

Comment

In a gun store , the guys(yes, more than one) who are shocked when the local law enforcement cuff them because the answered "truthfully" while filling out the federal form, stating that there was a warrant out for their arrest.

Comment

@/canvasback: Long before your time. US old guys used what was called a POLY Choke on our shotgun Bbls, in witch you could "DIAL" in a Choke setting
                from C/bore to Ex-Full with a twist of your wrist.
                just saying....LMAO

Comment

Treestand, did not know that, what were the pros and cons, why dont we hear about them today?

Comment

As for Dumb Stuff I have seen Adults Look down the Barrel of a loaded Handgun do to a misfire on the Range. Now as for Subsonic 22Lr ammo It works just fine in my New SR22 and groups great at 25Yd.

Comment

The only thing was looks from a mulity Ck to a single Ck-tube....Check out Poly-Chocks on line it came out some wear around 1950+/- till 1975-80

Comment

I have seen some shooters not wearing eye and ear protection on the gun club range. I always explain to them that protection is needed and if a range officer caught them they would be asked to leave.

The dumbest thing I ever heard in a sporting goods store was when a young hunter told me he shoots into the bush when it moves then he checks out what he just shot.

Comment

Ozarkghost, I think what you were being told is that 5.56 and .223 ammo are not the same thing. The bullet diameter and the case is the same, but there are some important differences in the leade of a 5.56 chamber and the max pressure of a 5.56 that can get you into trouble unless you are set up to handle both cartridges.

Comment

Treestand, I had a poly choke on a Sears 12ga - worked good. Also had a Cutts Compensator on another 12ga.

Comment

After a day of deer hunting we heard a series of shots right at the end of legal hunting time. A guy comes out later and we asked him what the shooting was. He said it was him, he did not know how to unload his rifle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                No that's confirmed!...
                                Today, 05:09 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by FirstBubba
                                I guess you got that from a unanimous source?

It's no good for (D)'s unless the source is unanimous! 👀...
                                Today, 05:05 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Breaking news Hillary used FBI , and CIA as her own Gestapo against Trump campaign.
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Trump landslide 2020.

Biden asks for 4 10 minute breaks what a bum.

Now Bid en refuses to get drug tested what is he afraid...
                                Today, 04:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X