Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys. I am fixing to buy some deer ammo for my .30-06. I am really interested in Federal Premium Vital-Shok. Out of that lin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys. I am fixing to buy some deer ammo for my .30-06. I am really interested in Federal Premium Vital-Shok. Out of that lin

Hey guys. I am fixing to buy some deer ammo for my .30-06. I am really interested in Federal Premium Vital-Shok. Out of that line of bullets, which is the best for whitetails. I am interested in Nosler Partitions.

You might want to look at the Hornady line, I have real good success with their 150 grain and 165 grain SST's and Interlocks. Both are great deer killers. Of course I load all of my rounds myself. You don't need the heavy constructed bullets like the Partitions for deer. In the Vital-Shok's the 150 BTSP and the 165 BTSP would both make fine deer rounds.

Comment

Depends on how,where and what you hunt.
      Mid-West and Northeast white tail a 165gr pointed or 180gr round nose is all that is necessary. Winchester PowerPoint Plus shoot real good in my rifles. Federal is good and Remington Corelokt are also great deer bullets that have taken tons of whitetails and black bear.
      I have some Federal Safari with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw that would be much more than necessary as well as cost prohibitive.
      Buy a box of each Manuf. of the popular 165 or 180gr and try them in your rifle and see how they group at 100yds. Pick one that is 1 1/2" group at 100yds.
      If you are hunting out west, that is a whole other situation where you may want a premium bullet. All major manufacturers offer premium bullets, Nosler Partition being one of them.

Comment

if you want noslers and want great accuracy as the ballistic tips and great penetration the accubonds are great. I have an great success with the in my 308 and my 300 win mags and taken several elk and deer in o6 the 165 would be great for deer

Comment

Any 165 grain Ballistic Tip, Core Lokt, Power Point, or similar works fine for deer. It will kill them if you can hit them. Concentrate on your shooting not a bullet. What shoots best is your best bet, aside from FMJs.

Comment

WAM is right ON! Any modern 30-06 bullet that hits a deer will kill it effectively (except for FMJs as WAM advised). I would suggest experimenting with various offerings to see which is most accurate in your specific rifle. There is no such thing as one most accurate ammo nowadays. They are all loaded very consistently but each rifle has significantly different harmonics (recoil, barrel vibration, barrel flex, rifling diameter, etc.). I would use a heavy round nosed bullet if I was stomping dense timber to avoid bullet deflection as much as possible. For open long range prairie type shooting, I'd select the most accurate pointed tip available. The ballistic polymer tips all work well and the Sierra Game King or Hornady Interbond lead tips are very accurate for me. The Nosler Partition is a great bullet but at its price point and penetration characteristics, is more of an elk bullet than a deer bullet. I generally use the 150g Hornady SST as my whitetail deer bullet because they are the least expensive and highly accurate. I am also using the 175g Barnes LRX for very long range muley hunting for the first time this year. Mainly, because I was unable to get 168g TTSX bullets for practice and I want to use the same load for elk.

Comment

Well I actually stuck true to Hornady. I have always used Hornady since I could shoot. I went with the bullets that actually said they were designed to kill whitetails, American Whitetail, and they had my favorite bullet from Hornady, the InterLock. Thanks Sarge, for making sure that I stayed with bullets that I trust and love.
              -The Kid

Comment

The interlock has been around forever. They just loaded it and packaged it in a red, white and blue box and called it American Whitetail ammo and probably added a few bucks and people bought it all over again. Good choice Kid it has been killing whitetails for over 30+ years and probably will for the next 30+ years. I use the interlock in my .308, my .280 and my 300WSM with great results in all three.

Comment

I can't say enough good things about the Horndy Interlock bullet. I started shooting them in 1967 and have shot deer with them since that time. They have typically been my most accurate bullet and they penetrate as well or better than any other bullet I've tried. Most people think a 100g bullet is small for a deer. ALL of my 100g Interbond shots have fully penetrated deer and antelope except for one. That one penetrated from rear to front on a big whitetail buck at about 250 yards. It shattered pelvis and six big ribs and was stuck exiting the brisket hide. You can sure pay a lot more but you sure don't need better performance for any deer on the planet. I'm just reluctant to praise them too much for fear they will raise the price like everybody else has done. Oh, and they still sell their bullets in 100 count boxes so the price you see is significantly less than competitors. Great bullets!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad