Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which do you think work better, ear plugs or ear muffs? can anyone recommend a certain kind? I have been using plugs lately.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which do you think work better, ear plugs or ear muffs? can anyone recommend a certain kind? I have been using plugs lately.

which do you think work better, ear plugs or ear muffs? can anyone recommend a certain kind? I have been using plugs lately.

I used regular "spark plugs" by moldex for earplugs until I got a custom pair made, and then I wear ear muffs over them. Ear plugs do not protect your ear from shock waves caused by things like gunshots, so its important to wear both. You can never go wrong with being extra-protected. Moldex also makes good earmuffs. They aren't electronic noise cancelation ones or anything, but when I wear both of those I do not worry at all about my hearing on the range or when I'm running loud equipment. Cheers

Comment

I use the ear muffs at the range and for practice. I don't use anything for hunting.

Comment

Muffs work better than plugs and if you are shooting with a muzzlebrake wear both. I use Leight E3's and they work really well even with an 18" barrel 45/70.
        I do not wear anything while hunting but I am saving up for some plugs with enhancement and compression. If only they didn't cost as much as a rifle. I am definitely into the hearing loss zone due to working around machines and guns. Past time to start protecting what is left.

Comment

panfry, I have been shooting my .22 the most with the plugs. have I damaged my ears?

Comment

I now wear a hearing aid, and I ask very earnestly that shooters protect the hearing they have. If that takes ear muffs worn OVER ear plugs, let me assure you that it's worth it.

Comment

Indoors, plugs and muffs. target shooting outside, if it is hot, plugs, if it is cold muffs. hunting, nothing, not many shots fired to make much difference for me, all of my power equipment usage over the years has done far more damage, now I apply the same rules for shooting to power equipment.

Comment

On the Range, I use Walker Muffs and in the Field Walker Game Ears...Pay the $Price$ and Hear for the rest of your life!

Comment

I use plugs and muffs together, I've already sacrificed enough of my hearing to KISS and Grand Funk Railroad 8 tracks years ago.

Comment

Edward Palumbo, I'm in the same boat as you wearing hearing aids.

Working as a night club bouncer part time in the evenings for three years back in the early 80s damaged both my ears.
                    That was complements of the Disc Jockey with the loud blasting music. It was so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you.
                    If only I knew.

There are two advantages with hearing aids.

1. You can turned them up and hear wildlife from a distance coming to your tree stand.

2. You can turn them off at the shooting range. They are natural ear plugs and they are with me all the time.

Comment

There is another advantage I forgot.

3. When your wife starts yelling at you, it is easy to shut them off. Again, they are natural ear plugs. lol

Comment

As most of us that are my vintage, we never worried about our hearing and attributed its loss to old age. I now have a high frequency hearing loss from years of hunting and target shooting. Most of my shooting comes from the range so it is easy to protect yourself there and foolish not to.

I still prefer to hunt with the ability to hear what is around me and am happy to see new technology that allows that while protecting hearing at the same time. I don't worry too much about hunting without protection where I only fire a shot or two a day but certainly use hearing protection in the duck and goose blind where all Hell breaks loose several times a day.

Comment

Please, wear both plugs and muffs while at the range. After a life time of shooting, military and private life, I am almost totally deaf. I attend hunting conventions where all of us old timers lean forward and shout at each other. While hunting, I wear nothing, but it is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse is gone. Cannot recommend one brand over another, just make sure you wear some protection. Kindest Regards

Comment

After many years of industrial work and lots of time at a shooting bench, I've been assured by safety experts from OSHA on down, properly applied (key word, "properly"!), the little cheapie "roll up" yellow ear plugs are THE single most effective hearing protection, hands down!
                            Roll 'em tight and insert deep into the ear canal. When they expand, they completely seal the ear canal. Muffs can be used as insurance.
                            "Silencio" " Ear Valves are also very good.
                            I detest muffs! Whether shooting or working, I find them cumbersome and uncomfortable.

Comment

Ear plugs, because they are small, light weight and they fit in my pocket. I really like those winchester rubber ones.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad