Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the best place to store your ammo to prevent corrosion. Not just a couple of boxes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the best place to store your ammo to prevent corrosion. Not just a couple of boxes!

Where is the best place to store your ammo to prevent corrosion. Not just a couple of boxes!

I have some in an old refrigerator (not functional) in my garage, but cheap shotgun loads with steel are corroding.

Comment

Humidity is not a problem here in So Cal, so the issue is not as critical as in other areas. Store some on shelves in locked metal gun cases. Most is in locked, metal,fire proof ammo cases from Cabela's.

Comment

In an ammo locker. You can find them at cabbalas

Comment

I keep mine in the safe.

Comment

Vic, I now keep my guns and ammo in my brand new Browning gun safe. I just had my Browning gun safe delivered eight days ago. I paid extra for the “Ever-Dry Electric Flexible Dehumidifier“.

Amazon has them on sale for $37.99 each. It should work in your old refrigerator. The electric plug on this Ever-Dry comes apart in two pieces so you only need a tiny hole drilled out in the back smaller then a pencil. Browning already has the small hole there for my lights and Ever-Dry.
            Good Luck

Comment

I have a 24 gun safe from cabelas (liberty) and I barely have room for all my guns. Would a light bulb in the refrigerator left on all the time work? I use a desiccant in my safe but the ever-dry sounds like the ticket!

Comment

Ah have used 20mm ammo boxes with good results.

Warm up the box with a heat gun, put the ammo in, and the lid seals it, and ye're good to go!

Comment

Trapper Vic, A 7&1/2 watt light bulb is all you need to keep an old refrigerator slightly warm and dry. I used one for years to keep welding rods dry and never had any rust, corrosion, or mildew.

Comment

My reloading room is heated and air conditioned and my ammo is in a controlled enviorment year around. So far I have had no problems with it, My gun safe is in the same room and I have the Remington dryer packs(2) in my safe plus a heater rod supplied with the safe.

Comment

I use GI ammo cans with good seals, and desiccant in every can. I have them broken down into caliber, except for the components.

Comment

I store in the reloading area, same level as the house. No particular container and only use a few ammo can types. Powder and other equipment and supplies also in the same area. I never get any rust on any steel surface so must have a naturally low humidity.

Note: I saw a youtube about ammo and the guy said
                        the most damaging thing to ammo is ammonia. I never heard of that. Seems enough fumes to affect ammo would do a number on your eyes and nose.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                          by FirstBubba
                          "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                          Today, 04:39 PM
                        • Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                          Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by 99explorer
                          Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                          Today, 03:02 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                          Today, 02:39 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by bowhunter75richard
                          I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                          Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X