Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got to the range to sight in my .303 MkI No.V Enfield. The peep sight is fixed and ladder sight starts at 200yds. Last time ou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to the range to sight in my .303 MkI No.V Enfield. The peep sight is fixed and ladder sight starts at 200yds. Last time ou

Got to the range to sight in my .303 MkI No.V Enfield. The peep sight is fixed and ladder sight starts at 200yds. Last time out with PPU ammo I could not figure out why I was having trouble. This time I had my chronograph and figured it out. The PPU (Serbia) ammo was way under power and that was affecting the POI. W-W was not much better as compared to the MkVII 174gr military ammo specs. The best, full velocity ammo was the Remington with 180gr. A full 250fps faster than the PPU. Of course that threw the sight/POI way off. With the Remington at 200yds on the ladder sight it was right on. Peep sight at 100yds, right on. So, the tip is, beware of the performance of ammo that you are not familiar with.

I hear you with the PPU. I think it is great ammo and nice brass, but I recently picked up an old Yugo mauser and some 198 gr FMJ. It shoots POI at 100 with the tangent sights set to 200 yds, and though I have not chrono'd the loads, they do do seem to have full recoil.

Since the old military rifles usually are set to shoot fairly high when the sights are in their lowest position, it is actually not the worst thing, as this will be a paper puncher for the most part.

Comment

I have an m48 and love it. It did not shoot high like many websites predicted. It was dead on at 100 with 3" groups 200 yard setting like yours. I love the thing its fun to shoot but recoil is noticeable. Ammo was cheap back when I bought it in 2004.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad