Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much ammunition do you really need? Is enough ever enough? I duck hunt a lot every season so I have I'd say 9 or 10 cases of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much ammunition do you really need? Is enough ever enough? I duck hunt a lot every season so I have I'd say 9 or 10 cases of

How much ammunition do you really need? Is enough ever enough? I duck hunt a lot every season so I have I'd say 9 or 10 cases of 12 gauge in 2 shot, but that's more for convenience purposes. I also have around 300 rounds of my favorite hand load recipe for each given rifle I have, but that's just so that I have all that I'll ever need and have some to pass on. How many of you are or have stocked up on ammo and why? Convenience? Or for irrational fear of some type of doomsday? I'd love to hear some responses on this one

I believe Stockpiling Ammo is coming to an end, Home Land Security now has their 25Year Supply of Ammo. I'm willing to bet you will start seeing more Ammo in Wal*Mart and others Sporting Shops.

Comment

Apparently some of the stockpilers now have enough, because a good friend of mine just told me that he had seen 9mm ammo on the shelves of his local WalMart this afternoon.
      The ammo is usually sold early in the morning before it hits the shelves on delivery days.

Comment

I built up my supply during Y2K, and have been using that through this situation.
        I also have seen the supply on store shelves start to return to a modest level with still a several box limit. Prices also seem to be coming down, even for the ones who stocked up to profit.
        How much is enough for the active shooter? Generally varmint in the X,000's, hunting rifle several X00's to allow for off season shooting. Handguns in X'000. .22 X,000's. I only do a little bird hunting so shotgun of mixed type in X,000.

Comment

I keep a supply of my favorite projectiles or standard choices, but that supply began to dwindle and efforts to resupply fell short. I'd gone through some experimentation to come up with some of these loads, and it's difficult to settle for "second best" for my varminters.
          My pistols - especially my .45 ACP - digested a steady diet of ammo in practice, and resupply has been a problem. I seem to have procrastinated too long, and now the shelves are bare.
          I regret not having foreseen this situation, because it really has cut into my handloading activity. On the other hand, I have generated a renewed appreciation for my .22 rimfire rifles.

Comment

Competitive shooting. Ill burn through 700 rounds of 12ga this weekend.

Comment

I haven't shot nine or ten cases of waterfowl ammo since I have been hunting geese up here which is really only been about ten years. I'm sure I don't shoot five boxes a year and it's a poor year when I don't bring home at least forty geese. Only guessing since I don't keep track of the birds or the shells. Just make sure I don't have more than 25 bird possession limit at any given time. I don't like tying up a lot of change in excess ammo. Something could happen to me and then the stuff would just be wasted. I'm even less inclined to tie up a lot of change in guns I don't need and would never use.

Comment

I agree with Ontario Honker - I usually buy it as I need it with only a small amount in reserve. I bought 4 boxes of shotgun ammo last year for hunting and did not use it all up (this is in addition to trap loads, of course).
                I learned my lesson about stockpiling ammo a number of years ago when I lost a bunch of shotgun ammo to a flood. Also a large stockpile can make things dangerous for firefighters if you are unlucky enough to have a house fire. Not to mention the personal risk if the criminal element figures out you are sitting on a large arsenal or ammo dump.

Comment

I keep about 40 rounds of hunting rounds loaded for most of my rifles and about a year ahead supply of waterfowl loads. I might have 200 rounds of trap loads in the locker. I have a pretty good supply of components, but more of a variety than a stockpile.

Comment

I hunt a lot In many different areas, using many different calibers because of the variety of animals and terrain. Therefore, guess I have a lot of ammo on hand. Because several calibers are hard to find, I keep a supply. For example, 500 Jeffery, 450 Ackley. I own a couple of side by sides that are regulated for specific cartridges, so keep a substantial supply in case the factory stops making that round. Do not hoard for doomsday purposes. Must say,have a goodly supply as times of shortage, as is currently happening,have never bothered me. I shoot twice a week at the range and usually hunt a hundred days a year.

Comment

I hunt a lot In many different areas, using many different calibers because of the variety of animals and terrain. Therefore, guess I have a lot of ammo on hand. Because several calibers are hard to find, I keep a supply. For example, 500 Jeffery, 450 Ackley. I own a couple of side by sides that are regulated for specific cartridges, so keep a substantial supply in case the factory stops making that round. Do not hoard for doomsday purposes. Must say,have a goodly supply as times of shortage, as is currently happening,have never bothered me. I shoot twice a week at the range and usually hunt a hundred days a year.

Comment

Uh-oh. Looks like I might be an ammo nut based on the tiny amount other regulars here have on hand. I haven't bought a single round this year, as I last stocked up two weeks prior to last year's election. I've burned through plenty, esp. .22, and still have north of "a lot" left.

I have two safes dedicated to ammo storage. Before His Excellency was elected, I could find ammo bulk sales all over. Not that long ago I bought 3,000 rounds of .223 V-Max for about $4/box of 50. I dedicated half of that to raise funds for my hunting club. The sales paid the full purchase plus a couple hundred for the club. Have to be ready to take advantage of opportunities when they are presented.

A few months ago I worked a barter to trade bricks of .22 for four new tires. The other side never came through with the tires (he heard that ammo would soon be plentiful, obviously that hasn't happened). You never know when having extra rounds on hand could come in handy. I'm still ready to trade.

Comment

If I had knew we would have had a ammo shortage, I could've been on some sort of tv show by now. I have gone crazy looking for .22 LR. Every now and then I luck up and find a box.

Comment

When Obama was elected the first time I stocked the shelves of my reloading room quite well enough for me, my sons, and my grandsons to probably hunt for our lifetimes. We don't do much target shooting just hunting and sighting in. I have been picking up some powder , bullets and primers here and there in my travels as they present themselves. It isn't an emergency on my part just keeping plenty on the reloading shelves. I'm not a prepper.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                              by Solitario Lupo
                              Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
                              Today, 06:16 PM
                            • Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                              by jhjimbo
                              We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser...
                              08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
                            • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                              by 99explorer
                              I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
                              Today, 06:00 PM
                            • The George Floyd case.
                              by FirstBubba
                              Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                              Minnesota...
                              Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                            • Reply to How do you fly ?
                              by DakotaMan
                              I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am...
                              Today, 05:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X