Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do y'all think think of the .257 Roberts (AKA .257 BOB)? Good caliber? Apropos for all around applications? Or are there mu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do y'all think think of the .257 Roberts (AKA .257 BOB)? Good caliber? Apropos for all around applications? Or are there mu

What do y'all think think of the .257 Roberts (AKA .257 BOB)? Good caliber? Apropos for all around applications? Or are there much better "mid-caliber" rounds out there? I read an article in a magazine (initials G&A that was singing the praises of this round, but I have not heard much about it other than that article. Thoughts?

The .257 Roberts is a well-balanced cartridge offering the case capacity, selection of bullets from various manufacturers, and subsequent versatility to handle everything from varmints to whitetail or mule deer reliably. I owned two, a Ruger Model 77 and a rebarreled Remington Model 700, and both were a pleasure to shoot and to handload.

Comment

The 257BOB is on Par of the 243W,300Savage and Ammo is not in any Wal*Mart(hard to find) or Sport Shop. Its general a hand-me down Rifle in that Cal.its a White Tail/Black Bear Round as for a Mid-Caliber...JMO~7mm-08 has soft recoil like a 243W and works like a 270W!

Comment

The .257 Roberts is a well-balanced cartridge offering the case capacity, selection of bullets from various manufacturers, and subsequent versatility to handle everything from varmints to whitetail or mule deer reliably. I owned two, a Ruger Model 77 and a rebarreled Remington Model 700 (long action), and both were a pleasure to shoot and to handload.

Comment

My apologies; I edited my comment for the sake of accuracy or clarification to include the description "long action" for the Remington Model 700 I rebarreled. It didn't appear, due to delay, that the initial post was captured.

Comment

ED its not you it the F&S Site.

Comment

The .257 is a necked down 7X57mm, and is one of the most 'efficient' cartridges from a handloaders perspective. Velocity vs Powder burned
              With the heavier, 120gr bullets it has been used up to elk and caribou with good success.
              There is also a +P loading for modern rifles and the time honored .257 Ackley Improved that brings the performance of the .257 close to that of the 25-06.
              In the Adirondacks, I have seen several black bear in the 500+ range taken with one shot from the .257.

Comment

I had a .257 Rob in a Ruger Lightweight some years ago. I didn't kill any deer with it but am sure it was capable of doing so. I traded the firearm before deer season came along,(I won the firearm on a raffle from a gun club). The gun didn't shoot that well but I blamed that on being a Ruger from the experience I have had with them and it being a Lightweight. I am more partial to larger rounds like the .280 and .308 for deer hunting and even my 300WSM.

Comment

The .257 Roberts is a good cartridge but unfortunately I don't think it's popular enough anymore for me to want to own one. I'd go with a 25-06 if you wanted a similar diameter bullet that's also a good mid range cartridge.

Comment

Nothing against the .257 Roberts but the 25 caliber that I lust after is the .257 Weatherby.

Comment

Mom has a Browning A-bolt chambered in 257 Roberts. I would consider it a little light for elk, but know of several people who have taken multiple elk with it over the years. She really likes shooting it and has taken many whitetails, antelope and mule deer with it. I occasionally borrow it from her if I'm hiking in a long ways to hunt, lightweight, low kicking, plenty of knockdown power for deer.

Comment

I have never owned a .257 Roberts, but I did shoot one that belonged to a friend of mine, and I was pleasantly surprised at the mildness of the recoil.
                        It was a real sweetheart to shoot.

Comment

No doubt The Bob is a nice cartridge but the 25-06 will do it all better and ammo is easier to find. I have a Kimber 8400 classic in 25-06 that is a beauty. It will reach a buck on the far side of an 80 acre pasture with no trouble.

Comment

I practice shooting with my Ruger .257 Roberts. Cheaper to shoot and easy on the bones. A very capable deer caliber as well. Anything shooting a 100 gr Barnes TTSX at 3,000 fps is a deer getter.

Comment

I have one in a Ruger Ultralight, my daughter one in a Savage, and properly handloaded they are deer thumpers. Mine doesn't like 100 grain fodder so I am currently handloading 120 grain Remington Corelokts for both rifles. I think it's a better round than the .243 or 6mm due to the availability of heavier bullets.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by crm3006
                                From honk the phony- " even though Browning conveniently glues an instruction diagram inside each fore end. Yeah, right.

I'm still waiting
                                Today, 03:11 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by PigHunter
                                Thanks. Yep, I try to not be too lazy, was last in the gym on Wednesday lifting weights and walking on a treadmill. Another thing, I refuse to pay for...
                                Today, 02:36 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount...
                                Today, 02:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X