Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking to get a rim-fire rifle. I have been mainly at a 22wmr or a 17hmr. I have recently heard of a 17 Winchester super m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking to get a rim-fire rifle. I have been mainly at a 22wmr or a 17hmr. I have recently heard of a 17 Winchester super m

I am looking to get a rim-fire rifle. I have been mainly at a 22wmr or a 17hmr. I have recently heard of a 17 Winchester super mag. What are your thoughts on that round? I want to use this gun on coons, rabbits, opossum, other small game, and an occasional coyote. What would you recommend?

Winchester claims the new .17WinSupMag can take a coyote at 300yds. None of the other rimfire rounds can do that.
    The Savage B-Mag rifle designed for the round should be available soon - it is going to be my next purchase.

Comment

sounds like you are going to be targeting the bigger small game animals. I would go with the .22 wmr. it has enough oomph at less than a hundred or so yards for coyotes, and ample power for coons and other varmints. plus, if you find a used one it would be cheaper than a brand new b-mag. (jhjimbo, I have no problems with the bmag or the 17 wsm. this is just my opinion)

Comment

JMO~~ A 22Lr or 22wmr would be a smarter choice for Small Game less pelt,meat damage. Now the new 17/WSMag that's a great Choice for Fox,Groundhogs,Coyotes were Meat Damage would not matter!

Comment

Go with the .17 WinSupMag. It will get the job done for what your hunting, easily. Like jhjimbo said, its my next (gun) purchase as well.

Comment

.17 win super mag is the way to go.

Comment

Guess I've been a meat hunter too long.
              If I need more pi$$ and vinegar than can be provided by the long rifle or Mag, I'll reach for my Hornet.

Comment

.17 Win Super magnum. Great for coyotes. just make sure to shoot smaller game in the head with it unless you want to tear em up.
                -The Kid

Comment

i have a 17hmr and love it, it works for every thing i use it for which is the same as you want to. If money is a problem go with the 17hmr instead of the 17wsm. you can get a 17hmr rifle for half the price of a 17wsm. If you get a 17hmr try a couple different kinds of ammo to figure out what works best , then you will love it.

Comment

I would get a .22 LR, but since you are targeting the occasional coyote, the .22wmr would be best.

Comment

I have a 17hmr n let me tell ya the thing absolutely obliterates the coons foxes squirrels n other pests i have round here. 1 shot to a fox on the run n boom its down for the count. I like the jhp they really penetrate well. Out to 200 yards is the farthest ive shot w it simply cuz thats all i needed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                        by 99explorer
                        CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                        Anybody
                        Today, 01:09 AM
                      • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                        by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                        Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                      • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                        by 99explorer
                        Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                        Today, 12:57 AM
                      • The George Floyd case.
                        by FirstBubba
                        Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                        Minnesota...
                        Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                      • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                        by crm3006
                        My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                        Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X