Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody been using the GMX bullets from Hornady? I use them myself, I was just wanting to see if everybody was getting the same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody been using the GMX bullets from Hornady? I use them myself, I was just wanting to see if everybody was getting the same

Anybody been using the GMX bullets from Hornady? I use them myself, I was just wanting to see if everybody was getting the same results (which are great!) as me.

I have seen reports and results that indicate they do not expand well below 2,200 fps impact velocity. Most of the gilding metal monolithic are a bit too hard to expand properly at lower velocities. I loaded a bunch for my son's M-1 over the weekend and he says they shoot great on paper.

Comment

My dad, brother and myself all use GMX for elk. They shoot the 139s out of their 7mm Remington Magnums. I shoot the 130s out of my 270. Don't know how they expanded as all three were complete pass through shots, breaking the off side shoulder, though the holes were quite a bit bigger on the offside. Ranges were between 50 and 250 yards.

Comment

They have been shooting well on paper for me in 139gr 7x57. I have yet to shoot an animal with one so the jury is still out.
        WAM is right in that even Hornady says they will not fully expand below 2700fps which means either short range or magnum velocities at the muzzle for best performance. We don't get many long pokes in MN so I will be using them during rifle season in MN this year.

Comment

I tried the 90g bullets in my 25-06 as potential deer/antelope bullets. They were fairly accurate. I got .5 MOA at 3550 fps and .8 MOA at 3600 fps. I hunt with much more accurate lead bullets plus these might just not expand well beyond about 250 yards so I don't use them.

Comment

in the last 10 months I have taken 4 red deer and 3 Roe deer and a number of foxes with the Factory ammunition in 25-06 90 grain. I recovered one of the bulles from a quartering shot on a red and it had mushroomed perfectly with 98% weight retention. All but one of the deer fell on the spot with chest shots and the one that I hit with a quartering shot managed about 20 yards before collapsing. Foxes I have shot out to around 280 yards with what can only be described as devastating terminal performance. I zeroed my rifle at the weekend as I had reason to remove and refit the stock and on paper I shot two three shot groups at 100 metres. The two groups were expeptionally tight with shots touching in each of the groups. As long as I can get factory GMX I wouldn't bother with home loads.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad