Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A buddy and I went and sited in our hunting rifles at 200 yards. He shoots a 30-.06 with a 160gr bullet and I a 7mm-.08 with a 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A buddy and I went and sited in our hunting rifles at 200 yards. He shoots a 30-.06 with a 160gr bullet and I a 7mm-.08 with a 1

A buddy and I went and sited in our hunting rifles at 200 yards. He shoots a 30-.06 with a 160gr bullet and I a 7mm-.08 with a 145gr bullet. We got dialed in and figured we would check our rise and drop every 25 yards. At 200 dead on, 175 8 in high and three to the left with both rifles, everything under 175 was hitting right where it was supposed to clean down to 25 yards. we let our guns cool, we cleaned them and even switched guns and loads but the results were the same. Why?

What exactly are you asking?

Comment

JMO~~ Your dead on at 150Yd and 200Yd but NOT at 175Yd..JMO~Cheap Scopes,Wrong bullet weight,Lose Hard wear,Check your Rifles free-Floating Bbl,Try a cold one shot at 175Yd only, I shoot a 7mm-08 with 139Gr/SST/LM try other Ammo??

Comment

A little more detail usually helps here. How many shots per group and what were the spreads? How many groups did you shoot at 175? Where is "right where its supposed to" for the shorter ranges? Were you at a rifle range? Shooting up hill or down? were you both using the same rest? There are lots a variables as you know especially considering light, loads, wind, parallax, thermals but most do not constitute 8 inches of drop. how high is it at 150?

Comment

160 gr. .30-'06??? How, exactly, do you sit in a rifle???

Comment

we were shooting three round groups that fit inside a quarter. At 175 we shot 3 groups with a 5-10 min cool down and dropped back to 200 to make sure we didn't screw up. then we cleaned the guns went back to 175 and shot 3 more groups and we were still 8 high and 3 left. so we went to 150 ( 1.5 in high at 150, 3 in high at 100 for my 08) and 100 and we were right on. We were using the hood of my pick up as a rest on a level shooting range with the same line of fire for all shots. I use a leapold 3x9 and he a bushnell 3x9 shot with all powers on the scopes and even swapped guns.

Comment

Why don't you just sight them both in at 1 1/2" high at 100yds and be done with it. Sounds like you are chasing your tail the way you are trying to do it.
              I don't know why you are sighting in at 200yds and working backwards.
              Sight in at 100yds, 1 1/2 high, then you can calculate your bullet trajectory from a ballistic calculator. Hornady.com has one.

Comment

I agree with jhjimbo. My 30-06 is set to be dead on (3 180 gr. rounds touching 3" high at 100 yards) This puts me dead on at 200 yards and needing an 8" hold-over at 300 yards. My windage doesn't falter.

The hood of a pick-up is hardly appropriate for long range accuracy. Find a good shooting range where you can use an actual bench with sand bags, lead sled, or other stabilizing aid, and work your way out from 100 yards. I think you will find more consistent groups.

Comment

Movement to the left is a bit surprising.

Comment

Jhjimbo, I think their point was that they sighted in a set distance high at a set range (as you recommend), then checked actual performance against the table (something we all probably should do, but very few of us actually do), and found all in order, except at one specific distance, which, in both rifles, showed a really weird and pronounced difference. If they're shooing quarter-sized groups at 200 yards off the hood of a pickup, I'm impressed. OHH zoned in on the lateral movement. I don't know long-range shooting from a hill of beans, but I can't help but wonder if there was some wind current that only affected the round when it was on that specific course, or something similar.
                    To the shooter:
                    Have you had a chance to try 175 yards at a different range?

Comment

DalotaMan should chime in because I have seen him reply about bullets changing the way they behave at various distances based on their characteristics.
                      Perhaps some Snipers could add some info.
                      Otherwise, it's the one eye, pointed head, lead belly gremlin at work.

Comment

The best we could figure was it was gopher spirits. but it gave us a good excuse for all the shots we missed over the years

Comment

Charles, the physics of bullet trajectory and the consistency you describe at all other distances lead me to believe you were just plain unlucky at 175 yards. Some kind of aberation occurred to achieve the results you witnessed. The most likely culprit is a trigger jerk. The hood of a pickup is really not too stable for long range shooting unless you have a bipod on the rifle. A jerk of the trigger will consistently send the bullet high but normally a little to the right if you are shooting right handed. It IS unusual that you would be jerking the trigger only at 175 yards and squeezing fine at all other distances.

Any other type of malfunction is equally strange in that it only occurs at 175 yards and is so consistent. There are certainly many other issues that could cause your bullet to randomly fly high and to the side. In order of probability, I'd say:

1. Trigger jerk
                          2. Parallax from an inconsistent sight picture (both of these scopes could do this as long as the Leupold is a VX II or less in quality)
                          3. Non-free floated barrel moving on forearm
                          4. Poor stock bedding
                          5. Barrel heat
                          6. Loose scope mount
                          7. Damaged scope
                          8. Damaged bullet

Your rifles sound like they are normally quite consistent. Going forward, I'd suggest:
                          a) Check your scope mounts (bases and rings)to make sure they are tight
                          b) make sure your receiver screws are tight
                          b) Shoot from sandbags fore and aft
                          c) Watch your cheek weld and sight picture to make sure it is consistent.
                          d) focus on squeezing the trigger without affecting the sight picture; have your buddy load the round for each shot for a while; occassionally leaving an empty chamber so you can visualize the sight picture as you squeeze.

It depends on your conditions but if you expect long range shots, a 200 yard zero is my favorite for a 30-06. That is where I zero mine.

Best of luck... it sounds like these are both shooting pretty well.

Comment

Must be shooting in the Bermuda Triangle

Comment

Charlesmindy,
                              This is a good question for Dave Petzel, the Gun Nut (guru).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by Amflyer
                                Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                                Today, 04:04 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                                He
                                Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X