Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a cheap, durable, and long lasting 30-06 but I need some help on which brand and which model to get. Any suggest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a cheap, durable, and long lasting 30-06 but I need some help on which brand and which model to get. Any suggest

I'm looking for a cheap, durable, and long lasting 30-06 but I need some help on which brand and which model to get. Any suggestions?

Marlin XL7
    Savage
    Ruger M77
    H&R Handi-rifle

Cheap and Good don't belong in the same sentence.
    You don't need a Rolls Royce to go to the prom, but it's nice.
    A Ford Falcon will get you there, just not in style. Find the middle road.

Comment

I would add Remington 783. Advertised .75" groups.

Comment

About 40 years ago I bought a used sporterized 1917 Enfield in .30-06 for $10. I have since passed it on to my son who is still shooting it. When it comes to firearms, the concept of "long lasting" is supported by the military advice that, "Take care of your rifle and your rifle will take care of you". The deals are out there. Look to the guy who takes good care of his guns that wants to replace his old-fangled century old caliber with one of those flashy new-fangled WSM calibers.

Comment

I think you'd be very pleased with a Remington 700BDL, a Winchester Model 70, a Ruger Model 77 or a Howa 1500, among others.
          I recommend a bolt action because, compared to an autoloader, the mechanism is relatively simple and easy to maintain, which supports the longevity and reliability of the rifle.
          The challenge is to make one (1) choice when faced with so many good ones! If you find one that fits, that feels good in your hands and handles well, your choice becomes easier to make, and I wish you every success in your quest.

Comment

I was first looking at the Ruger American. I even held one in the store and really liked it. But when i came back to purchase, there was a Remington 700 SPS that i looked at. I loved the idea of the Ruger, and i still do and plan on getting one in another caliber. But thinking in the long run ( I was in the military and a grunt) i wanted something that has been proven to last and has a great reputation because it has real world experience. The Ruger is fairly new and the Remington has been around for a long time. I went with the Remington even though it was much more expensive, but i have great confidence that i will be able to pass this gun down to my grandkids someday. U may want cheaper and sometimes cheaper works great. But there is a big difference between a $300 gun and a $600 gun. What is your price range? Remington model 7! Id love to have that gun. Or a winchester 70. Or Ruger 77...lots of guns out there and each one is different ergonomically. Go to a place that sells guns n just mess around with them all. Its your money and you should research and get hands on with the guns you like to decide. Cheers!

Comment

I should add,"cheap" is inconsistent with "durable and longlasting". You may find bargains, especially in used firearms, but "inexpensive" is not synonymous with "cheap". Be patient and shop carefully, but you'll have to consider your priorities. If you intend to keep this rifle for many years, it's worth spending a bit more. There's good market for used firearms in very good condition, especially in this economy, so the odds are in your favor.

Comment

While I'm not a personal fan of the $400 price point rifles, the Ruger American and Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard are well made and should last a lifetime if maintained.

Comment

I picked up a used stainless Howa 1500 for $375. The tupperware stock was ugly but very servicable after I glass bedded it and floated the barrel. The average barrel typically exceeds the accuracy of most rifles costing less than $1,000. I consider the flat-based receiver with its integral recoil lug to be more reliable and more accurate than any of the tubular receivers like the Rem 700.

The trigger is adjustable and very good for hunting but for varmint hunting or target work, an aftermarket trigger would be an improvement. I bought mine to do a target rifle build using a custom barrel but the darned 30-06 barrel shot so accurately, I just couldn't crank it off and throw it away. It is now my back up elk rifle causing a Weatherby Mark V and a Rem 700 to stay in the safe while I elk hunt this year. The Weatherby Vanguard is the same rifle with a better stock. I bought a nice Weatherby stock for my Howa 1500 on ebay and it now looks too beautiful to drag through the woods. I would highly recommend that rifle. It will last a lifetime and you can upgrade it with aftermarket components any time you like to make it as jazzy or functional as you wish. However, if you use it just as it comes, you will never be able to blame the rifle for missing a deer.

Comment

Google: Howa 1500 recall. Saw something in a magazine, something about the bolt.

Comment

jhjimbo, thanks for advice. I hadn't seen that recall and will be certain to reference it in all future recommendations. My rifle was not affected by the recall. I consider such manufacturer support to add to the trust worthiness of a product. I've seen many an inexpensive rifle that should probably never be shot but they are sold anyway and the manufacturers never do a recall.

The Howas are solid and for those serial numbers affected, I have no doubt they will be solid for a lifetime and a bargain to boot once the repair is applied.

Comment

My Howa 1500 is chambered for the .223, and it's gratifyingly accurate. It groups consistently under MOA with my handloads. If it's any indication (and I suspect it is) of the longer action's potential, then the Howa 1500 rifle is a bargain. There's a picture of it among the photos in my profile.

Comment

I reccomend the Tikka T3 Hunter or a Savage

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                            by 99explorer
                            CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                            Anybody
                            Today, 01:09 AM
                          • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                            by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                            Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                          • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                            by 99explorer
                            Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                            Today, 12:57 AM
                          • The George Floyd case.
                            by FirstBubba
                            Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                            Minnesota...
                            Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                          • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                            by crm3006
                            My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                            Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X