Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking to get a 22 magnum rifle. I am most interested in a semi auto rifle. The only one I know of is a Remington 597 magn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking to get a 22 magnum rifle. I am most interested in a semi auto rifle. The only one I know of is a Remington 597 magn

I am looking to get a 22 magnum rifle. I am most interested in a semi auto rifle. The only one I know of is a Remington 597 magnum rifle. I don't know if there are feeding problems with mags? It is a 22 so I don't want to spend too much. What model of 22 mag would you recommend?

Are you aware of the new Savage .17WSM coming out ? It will top the .22mag as a long range varmint gun by a long distance. Shoots a 20gr bullet at 3,000fps. Rifle is Savage B Mag, specifically designed for this high performance round. Rifle to sell around $350 and when the ammo settles down it should sell around $15/50.

Comment

There are two I can recommend experientially, but neither is a semiauto. I do recommend the bolt action Ruger M77/22M, which has served me well, and the lever action Henry .22 Magnum rifle. In truth, I have no experience with semiauto .22 Magnums.

Comment

I've shot the .22 Mag in a handgun (Ruger Single Six and S&W M48)
        but very little rifle experience.
        From experience of years ago, .22 mag semi-auto rifles have never done well. I'm not sure exactly "why", but I suspect the energy expended to extract and eject that very long empty would reduce ballistics to more of a hyper velocity .22 LR.
        If I were that interested in a .22 mag rifle, I believe I'd look at a bolt action. A lot less to go wrong and a lot easier to take care of.
        Just my opinion.

Comment

I would recommend the Ruger 10/22Magnum it is the most Trouble free semi-auto on the market and hard to find. (NIB)$700.00 in used 95% $475.00

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad