Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there any difference between the .22 win mag and the .22 wmr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there any difference between the .22 win mag and the .22 wmr?

is there any difference between the .22 win mag and the .22 wmr?

YES...the.22WRM Effective Range is 125+Yd and Effective Range on .22Win Mag is 250+Yd, Savage Arms has a Rifle out now! Ammo will be out soon.
    Ruger and Marlin have Plans on New Rifles in .22 Win Magnum.

Comment

The .22WMR is the 'current', magnum .22 with a jacketed bullet. The older .22WRF is a less powerful round loaded with a lead bullet. The .22WRF can be fired in a .22WMR rifle, but not the other way around.

Comment

Treestand have you seen one yet? I cannot find them in MN.

Comment

OK, thanks. was just wondering cause I saw a few boxes of .22 win mag at the store.

Comment

Are you talking about the new Winchester
            .17WSM Winchester Super Mag?
            That is out now and I have seen ammo for it on Gunbroker.
            People are scalping the ammo now, Winchester set the price point about $15/50 when they first announced the round. Gunbroker has it for around twice that or more.
            This round is a .29 caliber contractor round - the one for driving studs into concrete, Winchester simply necked it down to .17 caliber and load it with a 20gr bullet. Suppose to have a muzzle velocity of 3000fps and take a coyote at 300yds. Savage rifle I believe is the B mag model.

Comment

Correction: the .17WSM is necked down from a .27 caliber concrete nail gun. This is going to be my next rifle purchase.
              Here is a link with info on rifle and ammo:

www.accurateshooter.com/huntingvarminting/winchester-17-win-super-mag-rimfire/

Comment

no, I am talking about .22 win mag.

Comment

Correction: 17/Win Mag...Not 22/Win Mag.

@ chuckles..NO I have an Order in for Two, they should be in August i'm told with Ammo.

Comment

Treestand, would be very interested to hear your impressions after you get your hands on one. I definitely think there is a spot in my safe for a rimfire with those ballistics.

Comment

.22 win mag and .22 WMR (winchester magnum rimfire) are the same round but there are other rounds like the .22 WMF witch is an older version of the .22 WMR that will work in a .22 WMR gun but the guns made for .22 WMF have not really been made since the 20's and 30's. then the there are 3 major .17 rounds with a 3 letter acronym and 3 without .17 HMR (Hornady magnum rimfire), .17 WSM (winchester super magnum), .17 HM2 (Hornady match 2) finally the .17 Remington, .17 Remington fireball and .17 hornet

Comment

chuckles...you bet as I see it now this will be a great seller at rim fire prices.

Comment

mike0714,
                          The last three rounds you mentioned I believe are centerfire rounds. .17 remington, .17 remington fireball and the .17 hornet.

Comment

yes they are. the 17 Remington is a .223 case necked down to .172, the fire ball is a .22 fireball necked down to .172 and the hornet is a .22 hornet necked down to .172.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                              by FirstBubba
                              "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                              Today, 04:39 PM
                            • Rest Easy
                              by jhjimbo
                              Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                              Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                            • Reply to Rest Easy
                              by 99explorer
                              Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                              Today, 03:02 PM
                            • Reply to Rest Easy
                              by jhjimbo
                              They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                              Today, 02:39 PM
                            • Reply to Rest Easy
                              by bowhunter75richard
                              I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                              Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X