Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7mm-08 or .308? i've already got a .280 rem, so i'm not sure if i need a 7mm-08. i'm only using it for whitetails. what do you g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mm-08 or .308? i've already got a .280 rem, so i'm not sure if i need a 7mm-08. i'm only using it for whitetails. what do you g

7mm-08 or .308? i've already got a .280 rem, so i'm not sure if i need a 7mm-08. i'm only using it for whitetails. what do you guys think?

If you already have a 280, I wouldn't bother with either. I would save my money and go hunting, or put a high quality scope on the rifle. Maybe even buy a good pair of Swarovski binos.
    That 280 is one of the most versatile rifle cartridges around and will easily do anything the 7mm08 and 308 will do... and then some.

Comment

Need is different from want! The .280 Remington is a most versatile cartridge for everything from small pigs to elk and moose with the right bullet. Unless you want to bump up to the 7mm Weatherby Magnum or 7mm STW or RUM, I would say you have the .284 bore covered. The 7mm Rem Mag is marginally better than the .280 on paper. Nice to have a .308 Win around for most hunting and shooting chores, too!

Comment

The only thing a 7mm08 or .308 would give you is the chance for a short action rifle. Otherwise, the .280 can do for almost everything except the big bears.
        My most accurate rifle, ever, was a .280.
        Five .284 bullets made a hole .387.

Comment

The .308 will give you (if you're a handloader!) a wider bullet selection.Other than that, there is no significant difference.
          Now, owning two rifles in different calibers? PRICELESS!

Comment

If you have a .280 for deer, you're fine.

Comment

As all have said, the .280 will outperform either that you are considering for deer hunting. You might consider hand-loading it with different sized bullets than you currently use. It is so versatile. I really like the small-for-caliber bullets (like Hornady VMax or Barnes) for speed and accuracy. The 180g Bergers are also tops for long range accuracy that surprises most deer hunters.

If you must get one of the two you mentioned, I'd suggest the .308, since you already have a great 7mm; especially if you get a highly accurate one. They are fun to shoot, have outstanding long range target accuracy, and expose you to larger bullets. I'm not one to push toward better bullet selections in either caliber because the bullet selection is outstanding in both calibers. For deer hunting in thick brush, a round nosed 200g-220g .30 caliber bullet is pretty effective.

Comment

.308 by far. More power and it has the all powerful 30 caliber bullet.
                -The Kid

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                  Today, 11:12 AM
                • More Bad News....
                  by WA Mtnhunter
                  My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                  07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by rock rat
                  Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                  Today, 10:59 AM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to More Bad News....
                  by dewman
                  Had a big long post typed half dozen times but I just won't discuss losing my dogs. Doubt I ever will. I know what you're feeling, I am sorry for your...
                  Today, 10:55 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X