Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a 190 grain 30-30 bullet take down. The manufacturer said it was good for moose and elk hunting and even bears. Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Keller1
    replied
    Originally posted by AAM View Post
    With 30-30 a load with a 160-170 grain bullet has the most power you will get from from a 30-30, after you get past 170 grains the amount of power you have dimishes but with an increase in recoil. The most I would you 30-30 for is mule deer maybe elk if they were close. As for your moose question 30-30 is not the right choice for moose. All rounds have their limits and it's not a good idea to go past those limits.
    The heavy 190gr hardcast bullet wil penetrate deep and straight ...

I have hunted with the 30-30 cartridge for just short of 40yrs .. I have found that factory fodder seems to work great .. For Black Bears the 170gr bullets seem to function fantastic ..

Leave a comment:

• Bonzaipilot
    replied
    The 190 grain Buffalo Bore 30-30 round stopped a 342 pound charging wild pig just outside of Fort Hunter-ligget on August 22. 2014 in its tracks period while I was hunting with my son.
    I always carry my 30-30 along with my Rem 700 custom 26" SPS .308. I keep my .308 on my back in a Eberlestock X1 pack while getting to where I am going to hunt and carry my Win 30-30 20" barrel iron sight Trapper in hand while going through the brush and up the trails. I find the 30-30 is much quicker to handle while hiking and in heavy cover. Anyways while I was limping (I am disabled) up to the draw I usually hunt I spooked a porker and he charged from around 35 yards away. By the time I got the gun up and fired he was 19 yards away.The bullet hit just above the left eye and went through the left side of the brain and into the shoulder. The wound channel was around 3/4 of an inch and penatration was an astounding 23 inches.
    The average penatration I get with the 165 Sierra Gamekings I load for my .308 is around 15-17 inches depending on where I hit the hog. I prefer the homeload Gamekings to the hog hammers because of the accuracy over distance and the fact that my both .308 and Rem 722 .300 Savage love these bullets.
    I do not know if I would bet my life on the 190 grain Buffalo Bore round on a big Alaskan bear as the manufacture claimes but I do know that the round kept me from a lot of hurt.
    I found this round at the Bass Pro Shop in Manteca Ca discontinued for $38.99 ( the most I have ever spent on a box of 30-30) and decided to try a couple of boxes. From a rest at 100 yards with Iron sights my best group has been 3.93" and I seem to average about 5". At 200 yards they seem to average 10 to 12 inches and they stablize just fine. I am now buying the bullets from Hawk Bullets and loading my own rounds. I think these are the same that bullets BB use in their loads.
    I do not know if I would ever spend $50-60 for a box of 30-30 but I do know that the round that stopped the pig was a Buffalo Bore round and it preformed as stated to the point I now load the round and carry my 30-30 with much more confidance in areas where trouble may come from any direction.
    I do not personally of anyone else's experience but this was mine and by golly I am damn glad I tried a couple boxes of over priced EXOTIC ammunition just because of the advertising and its being discontinued. Like I said it kept me from alot of hurt
    Willard S Walker

Leave a comment:

• TF89
    replied
    I have a pre-64 model 94 and tested some various factory ammo for accuracy. Winchester PowerPoint 170 grain, Remington Core-lok 170 grain, and Buffalo Bore 190 grain. At 50 yards the BB and PowerPoint hit the same vertical line, with the BB's about 2" higher. The Core-lok hit at the same height as the PowerPoint, however about a 1" to the left. At 100 yards the PowerPoint were on zero and the Core-Lok again same height, just off to the left about 2" while the BB's were same vertical as the PowerPoint but hitting about 7" higher. I was using open sites and 5 shot groups @ 100 yards were about 2-3”. The BB kicked more, not a bunch more, however I could tell the difference. I wasn’t being super serious about this as I didn’t let the gun cool much as my time was limited. There is a video on youtube where the BB we’re used to take down a large moose @ 110 yards. I would not shoot the BB’s with regularity as a target round, however for hunting I think it would do well inside of 100 yards and the 94 is great in the brush. Would a 30-06 be better, you bet, would I feel better using that over the 30-30, again you bet. Still having some of the BB’s around for just in case seems like a good idea, so I plan on stocking a couple of boxes. Just one man’s opinion, your mileage may vary.

Leave a comment:

• sjim
    replied
    I know this is an old subject; came across it looking for something, but have to add my 2-cents.
    When I have to pick just one rifle to be out for days with, it's my 30-30. I've hunted everything from Elk to Rabbits with it. 150 gr. is easier to find these days and good for those rabbits, but I generally carry 170-180 as my main ammo. I can get a fair distance, I'm no sniper. But face it, anything will take out anything in range with a well placed shot (or several!), its not going to bounce off. I've warned off bears & cougars but I see no reason to hunt them... so unless one comes after me I guess I'll never know. I'm sure I'll be wishing for an elephant gun at the time lol

Leave a comment:

replied
    I had an old Savage bolt action 840 in .30-30 (now passed on to my son, who has since retired it) and I hand loaded 170 gr. Nosler solid base bullets in it. It shot them well and they did well on deer. Again tho, that was load via development,my gun liked that load, and I never shot long distance with it.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Can you imagine some guy showing up at an Alaska lodge for spring grizzly hunt armed with an old Model 94 and a box of those silly shells? They'd take his gun away and tie him up. Anybody that crazy is extremely dangerous ... but not for the bears.

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    anything,but dont need 190gr,150gr 30/30 bullet will do anything you want.

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    you dont need 190gr at 50yrds, 150gr 30/30 will blow through any lung at that distance.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Sound about like Superformance BS claims to me.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    OntarioHonker,
    Not only what you said, but, are you sitting down, the 190gr 30-30 with the Hawk bullet at Midway USA is $56.99 for 20. Right now they are out of stock.
    I suppose 190gr at 2170 fps is not too bad, but can you imagine the punishment on the old Winchester 94's? The deer and bear I have shot with 170gr CoreLoks seem to drop if they are hit standing still, if they are moving when shot they could go some distance.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Methinks Wally liked to live on the edge. Personally, I would just choose to live. Period.

Jimbo: Well, I don't know how much weight I would place in a promotional ad that can't even spell heretofore correctly. The numbers bring to mind Redstone Laboratory's "data" for testing their canine snakebite vaccine. Since there are no government regulations regarding testing for animal medicines, these clowns could publish just about anything and claim wonderful results. And what they published was, it turns out, BS.

Frankly, tossing a 190 grain projectile out the end of an old Model 94 at 2000 fps doesn't impress me much. The average 180 grain factory load for my 30-06 is 2700 fps and I have to say there are times when it barely did the job for me when hunting elk and moose. If he wants, Timmy can try to shoot buffalo with that lobster round ... but he better be shooting out the window of a fast car!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Safado,
    Those are not my guns, those are the test guns Buffalo Bore used to demonstrate their 190gr load in a 30-30 lever guns.
    I do have a 1950's Model 94 and a current production Marlin 336. Like them both.
    I have no idea how Buffalo Bore gets those velocities with the 190gr Hawk bullet. Maybe they have some sort of proprietary powder.
    The thing is, Buffalo Bore makes the claim the 30-30 with the 190gr Hawk bullet is now suitable for Moose and Elk, and go on to say "can be carried as a defensive tool in Grizzly Country" Those are some pretty big claims, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    This brings ivory hunter Wally Johnson. Soon after his arrival in Africa and eager to try hunting, he and a pal began lion hunting for bounty with the only firearm either of them possessed. A Win M94 in .30-30 Win! The two reportedly killed quite a few lions before being able to upgrade their rifle!
    The prudent and proper placement of a well constructed thutty-thutty "bullet" will most certainly reduce "most"(?) beasties to bag!
    Definitely NOT the best round for the big hairy stuff! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    jhjimbo,
    You sir are a lever man! You must have some bolt actions in your collection but that is quite an assortment of nice lever actions!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I got this from Midway:
    loadable brass cases.

Technical Information

Muzzle Velocity: 2100 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 1860 ft. lbs

Owner of Buffalo Bore Tim Sundles on Buffalo Bore Heavy 30-30 Winchester Ammunition:

Buffalo Bore is introducing a truly Heavy 30-30 Winchester loading. This new load utilizes a 190gr. custom Hawk bullet and gives the venerable 30-30 here-to-for unrealized power and is designed so that the person who owns a 30-30 can now reliably kill elk or moose sized game. The 30-30 can now be carried as a defensive tool in grizzly country and will be much more effective in stopping a grizzly attack than any other 30-30 ammunition in the world. The custom 190gr. hawk bullet is designed with a harder core and thicker than normal jacket, so the expansion is minimal, thus insuring very deep penetration which is needed to break large bones and destroy organs deep inside large game animals. This load generates an unreal 2100 fps from normal 20 inch carbines this is the type of velocity that the ordinary 170gr. 30-30 loads generate, but again, we are using a 190gr. bullet. Check the below real world velocities from my personal stock, over-the-counter firearms truly amazing.

2071 fps -- Marlin Model 336 20 inch saddle ring carbine circa 1950's
    2061 fps -- Win. Model 94 20 inch carbine circa 1980's
    2075 fps -- Win. Model 94 20 inch carbine circa 1953
    2116 fps -- Win. Model 94 20 inch carbine circa 1963
    2172 fps -- Marlin model 336A 24 inch carbine circa 1940's
    2146 fps -- Win. Model 94 20 inch carbine circa 1980's
    2020 fps -- Win. Model 94AE 16 inch Trapper carbine circa 1992
    1983 fps -- Savage 99 26 inch rifle circa 1917 - Not a Typo

Note that the longest barrel gave the slowest velocity and even the short 16 inch Winchester trapper model gives faster speeds than the 26 inch Savage 99 rifle, which shows that barrel length is not always the sole indicator of velocities a firearm will generate.
    Buffalo Bore always uses stock over-the-counter- firearms that give real world velocities. Other ammunition companies normally use laboratory test barrels which give much higher velocities than stock firearms. We at Buffalo Bore see this long established practice as misleading to the consumer

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad