Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a 190 grain 30-30 bullet take down. The manufacturer said it was good for moose and elk hunting and even bears. Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can a 190 grain 30-30 bullet take down. The manufacturer said it was good for moose and elk hunting and even bears. Please

What can a 190 grain 30-30 bullet take down. The manufacturer said it was good for moose and elk hunting and even bears. Please don't tell me it's a about shot placement I mean a normal lung shot at about fifty yards.

The 190gr is heavy for a 30-30. Stick with the 170gr or Hornady Leverevolution that I think is 163gr(?) that has better trajectory and a little better velocity.
    Skip the 30-30 for elk and moose.
    For elk and moose, think more in the 30-06 power range.
    The 30-30 can take a black bear at moderate yards(+ - 100yds) with a well placed shot.

Comment

With 30-30 a load with a 160-170 grain bullet has the most power you will get from from a 30-30, after you get past 170 grains the amount of power you have dimishes but with an increase in recoil. The most I would you 30-30 for is mule deer maybe elk if they were close. As for your moose question 30-30 is not the right choice for moose. All rounds have their limits and it's not a good idea to go past those limits.

Comment

I messed that anwser up, I should have "use" instead of you.

Comment

#1 What Manufacturer said This?
          #2 DO you really Believe what they said?
          Know this the 30/30 has taken most Game a cross America Elk,Moose,Buffalo and some Bears,their are better Calibers out there that will do a better JOB
          JMO~If you only have a 30/30 Win/94 stay with White Tails and Black Bears...a 350Rem Mag,358W/mag,06, would you better for Elk,Moose,Bears.

Comment

Thank you all. I will definitely consider the Hornady leverevolution ammo.

Comment

Of course the manufacturer says that. Some marketing weenie saw that 190 grain bullets are for bigger critters. Lets us know how getting a 50 yard opportunity during gun season works out for you. Best of luck with that.

Comment

at 50 yards the round will definitely do the job on moose and black bears but like everyone is saying there are better rounds to do it with that leave more room for variables. The best tight woods moose and bear round is the .45-70 government powerful, fast reloads, and a super reliable gun.

Comment

I second the motion on low probability for fifty yard shots. Best to go with something for 150 yards and that won't be a heavy bullet in 30-30. This is especially the case for bear. I don't mind following a blood trail for elk or moose. But for animals with teeth and claws (if I hunted them and I never have), I'd prefer something that will knock em over and keep em down.

Comment

Agreed, I've never seen a 190 gr. load for the .30-30, which would probably, with that bullet weight, be one step above throwing rocks. Nothing heavier than 170 grains, and while WV doesn't have TOO many moose afoot, I don't see it as a moose round, but with 150 to 170 grains at reasonable distances it is a fine deer and black bear round, assuming a proper vehicle for it.

Comment

Addendum - Make that "white tailed deer".

Comment

I take it you already own one? If you get a chance to hunt elk, get a more appropriate caliber. The animal deserves better than a 30-30.

Comment

In the 30-30, stick with the weight your rifle shoots best and stick with 50 yards or so on deer. I know it will shoot farther. My first deer rifle was an old 30-30 gifted to me. A beautiful Savage 99 take down model with schnabel (spelling?) forearm. Shot well too, took my first few deer with it. I was hunting Mule deer could not wait to get something with more flexibility, and zip. Still own the rifle, but have not used since I was ten years old.

Comment

I'm interested in knowing the manufacturer as well. Probably the same marketing numbskull that came up with "Zombie" ammo. As the collective base of sound wisdom and knowledge above profess, keep that 30/30 for deer hunting in the woods and shoot what the rifle shoots best between 150 and 170 grains. It will do fine there for deer, feral hogs and even a black bear if the need should arise.

Comment

I didn't think what they said was true. But since I rarely shoot 170 grains I wanted to check with some experienced shooters. Thank you all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad