Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am heading to Eastern Colorado this fall to pursue plains mule deer. For this hunt, I am wanting to purchase a new rifle. I h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL!

Comment

I have 264 Win Mag and if you could find a used one in good shape I think you would be happy with it. All the calibers you listed are good ones and could do the job but I would also include the 30-06.

Comment

All those you list will do the job. I prefer speed for flat shooting at long range and for minimum lead on one dashing for cover. I've hunted them in that area since the mid-60s. I use a 25-06 with a 100 grain bullet. It flattens them nicely out to 500 yards with no problem. It has the speed of the 7mm Mag without the recoil. If you need to shoot further, a 115g Berger adds easily another 100 yards. I shot a .270 too but far preferred the 25-06. Your 7mm/08 with a 120g bullet going 3200 fps would work just fine. These guys are not particularly tough as long as you hit the vital zone. If you don't hit well, nothing works well. A 30-06 with a 130g bullet does well too. That is what I will use this year since I have to use the same rifle for a backup elk rifle. I will miss my 25-06 but know that a milieu is no match for that either.

Comment

Sorry... Muley is no match

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your input and suggestions based on your personal experiences. I appreciate it. It seems like I'll choose between .270 and 7mm mag. I'm considering a Model 700 MTN SS for the .270 and a Model 700 CDL SF for the 7mm mag. Thanks again, Chris.

Comment

Out here in the west .270 is highly regarded and popular for good reason. Mine has put a lot of meat in the freezer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad