Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am heading to Eastern Colorado this fall to pursue plains mule deer. For this hunt, I am wanting to purchase a new rifle. I h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am heading to Eastern Colorado this fall to pursue plains mule deer. For this hunt, I am wanting to purchase a new rifle. I h

I am heading to Eastern Colorado this fall to pursue plains mule deer. For this hunt, I am wanting to purchase a new rifle. I have never hunted the open plains where longer shots may be expected, but I have had lots of luck hunting deer elsewhere using a 7mm-08, that I foolishly rebarreled for a different caliber. I am now needing a new rifle, and am contemplating either 7mm-08, .270, .280, or 7mm Remington Magnum. This rifle will really only be needed for deer. Thank you in advance for your input. Chris

If you handload, the .280 will serve you well. If not, the .270 is a good choice.

Comment

Ditto what Ed said.

Comment

The .270 would be my choice, hands down, especially if you are expecting longer shots. My 7mm-08 goes everywhere with me now, down here in the southern woodland.

Comment

Comment

JMO~ look for a Used Rifle like a Post/64 Winchester Mod 70-in 264 Win/Mag also called The "Westener" lots on the Used Market, or a 280 Rem or 7mm/08 witch is a .270 in Short Pants.

Comment

Ah have owned 7 mm's and a .280.

They are ballistically identical and shoot the same bullet.

7mm ammo is more readily available.

The other two wood prolly work fine.

Your question requires the reader to separate the fly$hit from the pepper!

Comment

All things being equal, and the four calibers you have selected are "relatively, "equal".
                Here's my view point.
                The 7mm-08, 280 and 7mm Mag will hurl heavier bullets than the .270, hands down.
                The .270 is excellent at range with the 130 gr bullet, but begins to suffer when pushing a 150 gr bullet out 300/400 yards. My .270 drops 9" at 400.
                The 7mm's will push heavier bullets faster. Especially the Mag.
                The faster the bullet, the quicker it gets to the target, the less time for wind to effect the bullet. Heavier bullets are less affected by the wind.
                Myself?
                I'd take my .270 and some souped up 130's.
                A really good choice, to me, would be the 7mm Rem Mag with moderate weight bullets, probably the 160 gr.
                BTW, those "plains" can get pretty windy.

Comment

With a little judicious handloading you can get 7MM magnum performance out of the 280, it's a bit more flexible. I have a 7mm magnum that I got a very good deal on, however, if not for that I'd probably have a .280.

Comment

if you are looking at a .280 caliber and can hand load i would suggest the .280 ackley improved it has better performance then a regular .280. but for ease of use and ability to find quality ammo i would go with a 7mm mag i love both rounds and have hunted with both. (i own a 7mm mag and have used a friends .280 ackley improved when I left the ammo for my .284 win back at camp both are great long rage deer rifles

Comment

ps the .280 ackley improved is right in between a .280 remington and 7mm mag. there speeds for the same bullets are roughly 100 fps different that means if the .280 remington is shooting a 140gr bullet at 3000 fps, the .280 AI will probably do it at around 3100 and the 7mm mag at 3200. thx

Comment

You didn't say what kind of ranges you are expecting to shoot at or how good a long range shooter you are. If you keep your shots under 300 yards any of those will do. A 7mm-08 is a bit wimpy out at 300 or so. My personal favorite for plains and 3-pointers from downtown is the 7mm Weatherby Magnum that beats all the other choices.

Comment

The best 7mm for western mule deer would be the 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Flattest shooting hardest hitting of them all. Better bullet selection than the .270.

Comment

Of what you listed, I'd go with the 7 rem mag. This gets you a long range rifle which can be used for deer and elk.

Comment

Yes, beyond that are the 7mm-.378 Weatherby magnum, the 7mm-.50 BMG,and the .17rem/20mm Gatling gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X