Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.338 Marlin Express vs .45-70 Gov. for bear defense and big game hunting within 250 yards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike0714
    replied
    i have all ways said that my 1984 in .45-70 is my bear gun

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    I love my .45-70 marlin, and with today's factory ammo available,both the copper alloy and hard cast lead are great large game stoppers.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Both are ballistic stones for anything out past 150 yards. However, anything hit with the .45-70 at practically any range is in the hurt locker.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    I love my 45/70. The .338 has better ballistics for longer range shooting but since you mention bear defense as well the 45/70 is probably a better choice.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    45/70 in a modern firearm designed for maximum power loads. Ammo manufactured or re-loaded to the higher performance standards.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    I've never fired the .338 Marlin Express. My .45-70 is formidable. When you get 3/4 oz. of lead moving 2,000 fps it will put some serious hurt on whatever is unfortunate to be in front of it. However, it has the trajectory of a rock. For each 50 yards of range I must raise the stock semi buckhorn sight up another click of elevation. 250 yards? Hmm?

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    45/70, because ammo should be more readily available, I could be wrong though.

Leave a comment:

replied
    .45-70 assuming it's a Marlin lever action and properly handloaded or using that new flextip ammo.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    My Vote for 338 Marlin Exp.JMO~~ its a good all around Cartridge over the 45/70.

Leave a comment:

• .338 Marlin Express vs .45-70 Gov. for bear defense and big game hunting within 250 yards.

.338 Marlin Express vs .45-70 Gov. for bear defense and big game hunting within 250 yards.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad