Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.338 Marlin Express vs .45-70 Gov. for bear defense and big game hunting within 250 yards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .338 Marlin Express vs .45-70 Gov. for bear defense and big game hunting within 250 yards.

.338 Marlin Express vs .45-70 Gov. for bear defense and big game hunting within 250 yards.

My Vote for 338 Marlin Exp.JMO~~ its a good all around Cartridge over the 45/70.

Comment

.45-70 assuming it's a Marlin lever action and properly handloaded or using that new flextip ammo.

Comment

45/70, because ammo should be more readily available, I could be wrong though.

Comment

I've never fired the .338 Marlin Express. My .45-70 is formidable. When you get 3/4 oz. of lead moving 2,000 fps it will put some serious hurt on whatever is unfortunate to be in front of it. However, it has the trajectory of a rock. For each 50 yards of range I must raise the stock semi buckhorn sight up another click of elevation. 250 yards? Hmm?

Comment

45/70 in a modern firearm designed for maximum power loads. Ammo manufactured or re-loaded to the higher performance standards.

Comment

I love my 45/70. The .338 has better ballistics for longer range shooting but since you mention bear defense as well the 45/70 is probably a better choice.

Comment

Both are ballistic stones for anything out past 150 yards. However, anything hit with the .45-70 at practically any range is in the hurt locker.

Comment

I love my .45-70 marlin, and with today's factory ammo available,both the copper alloy and hard cast lead are great large game stoppers.

Comment

i have all ways said that my 1984 in .45-70 is my bear gun

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                      by crm3006
                      From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                      Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                      Today, 04:20 PM
                    • Trump
                      by Danbo
                      https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                      04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                    • Reply to 16 Years
                      by FirstBubba
                      Ya know bhr!
                      I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                      Today, 03:57 PM
                    • 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                      Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                    • Reply to 16 Years
                      by FirstBubba
                      "... I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals, fly...
                      Today, 03:40 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X