Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 30-06 round would you recommend for Elk, Moose and grizzly bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 30-06 round would you recommend for Elk, Moose and grizzly bear?

What 30-06 round would you recommend for Elk, Moose and grizzly bear?

180 to 220 grain premium bullets.

Comment

I use 190 gr boat-tail (Hornady I think - haven't loaded any for a while). Good for moose, elk, and I'm sure it would do he job for bear if needed.

Comment

Ditto~~Ed J.P
        180/220Gr to 250Gr Barns.

Comment

180 grain premium bullets are the usual for moose so it would work great on elk and i am guessing it would also work well of bears. but if i was going for browns then i would want more gun then a 30-06. my gun of choice would be my .45-70 government marlin 1895XLR for bears it has plenty of knockdown power and extremely fast reloading that you can only get from a good lever action.

Comment

Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip.

Comment

I'm with Eduard on this one, I would use 220 grain for grizzlies and 180 grain for moose and elk.

Comment

I would suggest federal premium 180 grain.

Comment

I would not recommend any .30-06 for grizzly hunting. .338 Win Mag or .340 Weatherby would be about minimum for me.

Comment

180s will work for Moose and Elk, but I would not want to shoot a grizzly with a 30-06, I would if it is what I had while hunting moose or elk, but I would want 220 gr bullets for it.

Comment

I worked once for a gun shop that was frequented by a good many professional hunters on holiday in America. At the time we had a half dozen cases of the 200 grain Remington Core Lokt ammo on a clearance sale as no one wanted it. An African PH of some note came in looking at rifles and went fairly batty upon seeing the ammo on sale for $5 a box. He immediately bought up the whole lot and had us ship it to Johanesburg. He explained to me that said load would shoot through any cape buffalo one might encounter at reasonable distance. It also did terrible things to lions. All in a rifle with more rounds in the magazine that could be shot easily and accurately.

More elk have probably died to the report of a 30/06 stoked with 180 grain slugs than anything else and I suspect so have untold numbers of moose.

I've never hunted large coastal grizzlies and probably never will. But I'll want more than a 45/70 or 30/06 for that encounter and I'm a large fan of both.

Comment

180 for elk. 200 for moose and bear.
                        -The Kid

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                          by PigHunter
                          I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                          Today, 02:16 PM
                        • Cheaper Than Dirt
                          by jhjimbo
                          Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                          Today, 12:21 PM
                        • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                          by fitch270
                          I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                          Today, 01:40 PM
                        • 300 yard .22lr
                          by jhjimbo
                          Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                          Today, 11:28 AM
                        • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                          by jhjimbo
                          I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                          Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X