Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you compare the recoil of a 30/30 to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    crm3006 is right on the money. A Marlin .30-30 with a 170gr. has a recoil energy of around 10ft.lbs it is almost exactly the same as a 3" .410. A .30-30 has the lowest recoil of any "big game" rifle.

Leave a comment:

• Montana
    replied
    Dad's model 94 Winchester is like a soft punch in the shoulder.
    Dad's Marlin with the curved steel buttplate is like taking a sledgehammer blow the the shoulder.
    Both are child's play compared to my brothers 300 weatherby magnum 6 1/2 pound mountain rifle, that thing is very nasty.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    Ah dunno...

You are asking for a comparison.

A .30-30 is to a .300 Win Mag as a bug fart is to an atomic bomb!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I've shot mine from every conceivable angle and position, except possibly off my nose. Worst thing I ever experienced from it was getting bucked off a horse.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    In a light weight lever gun it is similar to a light 12ga target load.
    If you shoot in the field at an animal, like most similar caliber guns, you don't even feel the recoil. Shooting from the bench, use a recoil pad so you do not develop a flinch.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    The response to recoil is subjective and depends on what you're comfortable with and accustomed to, but with proper hold and position, you'd be surprised at what you can comfortably absorb! Enjoy your rifle, save your brass, and have fun with it.

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    It's not that I'm worried about the recoil, it's just that I've heard from multiple people that the recoil is bad and yes I have already bought a 30-30. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Without hearing protection, the muzzle blast amplifies the recoil, and can induce a flinch which is often attributed to the recoil.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I've always compared the .30-30's recoil to a "good natured" slap on the back.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Soft.boring. That said, historically, it has taken more deer than anything else out there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What recoil? Maybe a 3" .410?

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Ditto~WAM
    A light 20Ga Field or Target Load

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    A popcorn fart or a 20 gauge target load.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stinky
    replied
    I think he said on a previous post that he has already bought one.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    The recoil is not punishing at all. Hold it properly and I think you'll find it's very easy to work with the .30-30. With practice, it's relatively mild. Take a few shots with a friend's .30-30, and see what you think. Are you considering the purchase of a .30-30?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad