Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have another rifle question. It looks very much like I am about to acquire a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I've shot a .35 fo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have another rifle question. It looks very much like I am about to acquire a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I've shot a .35 fo

I have another rifle question. It looks very much like I am about to acquire a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I've shot a .35 for many years in a 14" T/C Contender with 200 grain roundnoses (brand escapes me at the moment) and it puts a deer down like Thor's hammer, so a rifle should be even better, I would think. Anybody have anything to share regarding this rifle/caliber combination for eastern whitetails and black bear ahead of the hounds? Thanks and good hunting!

The old .35 Remington is wonderful deer round in a lever gun. Stick with the 200 grain slug. My favorite to load and shoot in that caliber is the 200 grain Remington Corelokt.

My first deer rifle was a .35 Rem in a Marlin 336. It was a 1960's era gun and was smooth as silk. Unfortunately some crack head needed it worse than I did...

Comment

My father has a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and He swears by it for deer here in MD. I'd say you can't go wrong.

Comment

Great out to 2oo yds or so, beyond if you practice.

Comment

Puts them down like Thor's hammer?

YEP!

Sounds about right!!

Comment

I have a Marlin 336 RC35 made in 64-68. Beautiful and puts em down with Power Points or Coreloks. And accurate too. Never killed a deer with new Hornady Evolution bullet, I'm sure its fine but not as accurate in my rifle. I would really like to try some Buffalo Bore 220gr flat nosed. Heavier and faster than even Hornady's with their special powder. Not for deer but should be great for black bear.

Comment

You have the perfect eastern deer and bear rifle. I like to say that the .30-30 is a waste of time if you can get a .35 Rem. Can anyone advocate for the .30-30 over the .35 Rem? No? Didn't think so.

Comment

Thanks for your responses, you said pretty much what I expected. I think it will make a dandy addition to the safe and will be a stellar performer for deer drives and bear chases. I handload for the T/C so ammo (aside from finding componenets, but that's another issue) will not be a problem. Thanks again, and good hunting to all.

Comment

I grew up using a .35 Rem and it is a great deer gun for use in heavy trees. I used the 200 grain bullet and would see limbs flying as that bullet clipped vegitation on the way to the deer. I actually found complete penetration through a 3 inch limb between me and a deer I got in heavy brush. It was my little brush buster and definitely outperformed a 30-30 at this... just a lot more punch. I have to say that it did not perform well enough for use on the open prairie though... just not enough speed. Its my "go to" rifle for the thick brush though and I know it won't let me down.

Comment

Beekeeper

Comment

I'm sorry, Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad