Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the .257 Weatherby too much for whitetails? Also, does it perform that much better than a .25-06 to justify the extra cost i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I am getting in on this late but just in case it helps, I think the fundamental decision is based on whether your son wants to hunt or impress his friends and either is an acceptable answer. There is a lot to be said for the self-satisfaction of owning one of the hottest chamberings on the planet. I recently had the good fortune of being given a Weatherby Featherweight and had my choice of caliber. I chose 25-06 hands down as an everyday carrying rifle. The .257 Weatherby is terribly expensive to shoot with no noticable hunting advantage and if anything, reduced barrel life. I handload and shoot my 25-06 to the highest velocity I care to shoot in a .25 caliber and am very happy with the decision. If your son wants to impress other boys in the neighborhood, that .257 Weatherby is one sexy looking cartrige though. I am shooting my featherweight in a 24 inch barrel and have chonoed 75 grain hollow points over 4000fps although my field varmint load goes 3750. You can get away with a 24 inch barrel on either but if you want max speed for prairie dogs, the 26 or 27 inch barrel will give you noticiably more for your money. I shot a 27 inch barrelled 25-06 for many years and loved it because of the extra speed and it accounted for hundreds of very long range prairie dogs. The long barrel really never bothered me in the woods but some people consider it a hassle. I suggest you choose the barrel length that you are comfortable with based on whether you will carry it or shoot a lot of long range varmints with it. You can't go wrong... these are two great choices.

Comment

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST257weatherbymagnum_031706/index5.html

Above is a link to a great read on the 257.

From the above "Roy Weatherby once told me that of the many rifles he had sold in .257 Magnum, not a single one had ever been returned to him for replacement of its barrel."

25-06 is a great round. But there are certain guns a person should have in their collection like a pre-64 model 70 in 270, a Belgium made A-5 and so on. To me a Mark V in 257 is a part of that. The ammo cost more than some other calibers. But 257 is running about what I pay for factory 338 Win Mag. Granted I do not shoot my 338 every weekend it is used a few time a year and for a purpose. My point here is $3.00 (or less) a round isn't bad if you are hunting. If I am going out to punch holes in paper I generally take the 223 or something economincal.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

SCONNER good link. The .257 Wby is a classic. In general the .257s are good with barrels. I doubt many people shot theirs often enough to wear out a barrel; especially with the price of ammunition. I have gotten over 10,000 rounds per barrel out of my 25-06s. At $40 a box, a Weatherby shooter would pay $200,000+ to wear one out. My 25-06 reloads on the other hand cost me about $3,500 per barrel in ammo. I suspect that is why Roy never got one back.

Comment

A weatherby vanguard can be bought for 399$ in t 257 weatherby. I bought some of weatherbys economy shells for around 38$ a box and was printin a 2 in group @ 300yards. A weatherby is well worth the cost. Roy Weatherby killed a cape buffalo in africa with his. thats something that can't be said by the rest.That extra velocity puts alotta punch behind it. Tests have also been done and there isnt a difference in the 24 in barrel and 26 in barrel velocity. one load that was tested was actually faster in th 24 in.I think that article was in shooting times.

Comment

I own both a 25-06 and a .257 weatherby mag and yes the difference in the performance is worth the extra money in my opinion I've never lost a deer I've shot with my .257 although the 25-06 is a great gun its a noticeable difference

Comment

The 257 Weatherby is not too much for white tails, or pronghonrn for that matter. With factory ammo or handloads, the Weatheryby is faster than max loads for the 25-06 when both rifles are using the same bullets. A 26" barrel for either rifle is going to make it faster than a 24" with the slower burning powders. Whether you want the extra speed of a Weatherby cartridge or not is up to you, but there is about a 200-300 ft/ second difference in their max speeds favoring the Weatherby. Reload your own ammo and you'll be more accurate and probably get better / higher velocities than with factory stuff, but that's not always the case. Weatherby factory ammo speeds cannot be matched with handloading, but I know for a fact the speeds and accuracy are there. Much depends on the nut behind the gun, as the old saying goes.

Comment

I have both and they are both good cartridges but I gotta tell you I love it when someone is talking about how awesome their 7mm REM Mag is as an elk cartridge and I ask to see one of there shells. Then put it next to my 257 shell and say huh thats the same shell as my deer rifle. (if your not familiar with these cartridges they are both based on 375 H&H just necked down to different size bullets) You can actually use 7mm remington brass to make 257 if you have more time than money. Last couple of years before newtown I was buying 257 Wthby @ sportsmants warehouse for $33 a box of 100 gn spitzer. Not a hunting load but cheaper than empty brass. Then I loaded with speer grand slams. Had it for 2 hunting seasons and its killed 3 deer already (wife used it too last year). Anyways I think that same box of bullets is 40 at sportsmans now. Ballistically a 26" 25-06 will shoot real close to the same as a 24" weatherby probably but if you want the bragging rights of the fastest 25 caliber you gotta buy the wthby. You can't go wrong either way though. Good luck

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad