Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the .257 Weatherby too much for whitetails? Also, does it perform that much better than a .25-06 to justify the extra cost i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the .257 Weatherby too much for whitetails? Also, does it perform that much better than a .25-06 to justify the extra cost i

Is the .257 Weatherby too much for whitetails? Also, does it perform that much better than a .25-06 to justify the extra cost in brass, powder consumption, etc? Does one need a 26" barrel to get it to perform as claimed? Thanks much.

The 257 WBy is a exellent performer, however I think a person could also get the same results with a 25.06 or 264Win mag but this all comes down to personal oppinion and choice of rifle.

Comment

The .257 WBY is a very good cartridge. In my opinion it delivers better with the longer tube. The 25/06 is also an excellent cartridge. I've shot one for years and it will do anything you want it to do on deer sized game.

Comment

I studied the .257, 25-06, and .264 win mag. extensively when I was looking for my deer rifle. In my opinion at the time, the .264 won out over the other two. That was over 20 years ago. If I were shopping today most likely I would go with the 25-06. I have very little field experience with the .257 but, from what little experience I do have, it would make an excellent deer cartridge. My decision to buy the 25-06 would hinge on price, selection, and availability of ammo, and nothing more.

Comment

Good preformer but I'd have to go with the .25-06 or 264 Win. because of cost.

Comment

No I don't believe that it preforms better than the 25-06. The .257 WBY factory shells are very expensive in comparison, you're right about that.

Comment

An old First Sergeant's wife gave him a Mark 5 in 257 for his birthday. I took hime out and put him in one of my tree stands on Ft Benning GA. Before I got to my stand I heard him shoot so when back to check. He had shot a small buck at about 30 yards. The hole that 257 WBY blew in that deer was like nothing I've ever seen before. Most of his insides turned to mush or gone. Yes it's somewhat faster than the 25-06 and would be very flat shooting for bean fields. You pay a big premium for ammo too. I have a 25-06 and love it. It will do everything you need to do albeit at slightly less velocity. Did you know that a major reason for the high cost of WBY ammo is each case has to be pressure formed to get that reverse curve on the shoulder.

Comment

Oh and the WBY burns a lot more powder to get a little more velocity. Barrel life will be shorter for the WBY.

Comment

Savage 110 25-06, a great deer rifle for under $500 (with Simmons Scope and AccuTrigger).

Comment

As stated above, i'd go with the 25-06 so i don't have to pay $60.oo per box of ammo. The only advantage of the .257weatherby would be out beyond 400 yds., in my opinion. The .25-06 is effective at that range too, but starts to lose a little more than the weatherby.

Comment

257 Weatherby is just fine for whitetails and especially Mule Deer out west. Far as comparing the 257 Weatherby with the 25-06, I really don’t think you’ll notice the difference in 150 fps, but you will see it in your wallet! LMAO!

I prefer the 25-06 over the 257 Weatherby, Weatherby is too damn proud of their brass! What you can do with a 257 Weatherby I can do just as well with my 25-06 and have change leftover for gas and another trip to the candy store for more reloading supplies!

PS if you reload, you can really close the gap on the 257 Weatherby!!

Comment

Clay you are right about the brass 257WBY brass cost about $20 to $ 30 more than my 7mmWBY brass and I dont know why, do you I would like to know.

Comment

It's not too much for deer and is a great cartridge. You can get pretty close to it handloading the .25-06, close enough that the price premium isn't worth it. If factory .25-06 isn't flat shooting enough for you and your prefered range, you need to introduce yourself to the sport of hunting. And yeah, you need the 26 inch barrel to get Weatherby's numbers.

Comment

Thanks to everybody who has responded or will respond after this point, greatly appreciated. My son is interested in the .257 and I was gathering info for him and in all honesty trying to steer him toward the .25-06. Thanks for your help, and good shooting!!

Comment

I do see the draw of the .257 Weatherby, it has the sex factor, but the .25-06 has the lots of dead animals factor going for it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad