Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was thinking about getting a new elk gun in eather a savage or howa was wondering if any one knows if the scopes stay true on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was thinking about getting a new elk gun in eather a savage or howa was wondering if any one knows if the scopes stay true on

I was thinking about getting a new elk gun in eather a savage or howa was wondering if any one knows if the scopes stay true on the package deals in large mag calibers.

To answer you question directly, yes, the scope will probably stay "true." Probably. However, nearly all scopes included with new "package" rifles are of poor quality. They generally are very cheap scopes included in the package to move rifles. They will probably "work," but the quality of the optics, as well as the rings and bases will be much less than what you would get if you purchased a rifle and scope separately. If you want to shoot deer in broad daylight at 50 yards, they are probably fine, but if you plan on doing anything more demanding (and I'm guessing you do), I would buy a rifle and quality scope separately, and then have them mounted by a qualified gunsmith, not some undertrained kid in the big box store.

FYI, I say this as a former undertrained kid who mounted scopes in a big box store. When I bought my rifle and scope with my employee discount, I took it to a real gunsmith to be mounted.

Comment

Not sure what "large magnum" caliber you are considering, but most of the package deal scopes will stand the moderate recoil of the rifle, however they are of lesser optical quality and usually have cheap mounts. Their dawn and dusk performance will be lacking even though they look great in the store and in broad daylight. Just buy the best optics your budget allows. Most of the Savage and Howa rifles shoot well enough for sure.

Comment

i agree with green and WAM it is way more worth it to buy the rings, bases, and scope separately. First of all you wont have to worry about your scope staying true after every shot and you will have much better performance especially in low light and better scopes will have parallax adjustment for farther shots and different conditions. For a few hundred more you can have a rifle that will serve you well for many many years to come compared to needing to upgrade or fix thing down the road. I really like talley rings and vortex scoped both have lifetime guarantee and are going to hold up to the recoil of some of the biggest magnums. The vortex diamondback and crossfire scopes are great and about 250 and 150 respectively. I will always push vortex after how they handled my binos. I have knocked the crap out of them twice and they have fixed them both times free of charge and no questions asked.(the first time I fell down a mountain with them and the dropped them out of a tree stand over 20 feet up and they where fixed quickly.

Comment

mike0714, you need to be more careful when you are hunting.
          brownsquirle, from what i know the big difference in scopes are the quality of the optics and the coatings (very expensive) that are applied to the glass to enhance the performance. One scope I have had was a $2500 scope and definitely nice but did I need that level of quality - not really.
          Savage and Howa are both quality manufacturers and I don't think would use a scope that will not perform, IMHO. Check and see if they stand behind the scope like they do the firearm.
          I recently bought a Marlin 336 30-30 with a 'package' scope on it. Neat scope and will serve my purpose just fine. I could not resist for the new gun package for $350 out the door.
          I have only had one scope fail, a Jap scope that fogged as soon as I got in some low clouds and mist. That was in 1960. Took it back and bought a Redfield 2-7 and that scope is still in use today.

Comment

I once used a borrowed Savage 110 with a packaged scope for a week and everything worked out fine.
            It was a .30-06 and I killed a big hog with it.
            I cannot speak to the long term effects of using this package, as I used it for only one week.
            Just my two cents' worth.

Comment

The only package deal I ever bought was not the Manufacture's deal. A local gun shop had put together rifle/scope combo's for a very good price, and you could upgrade to a better scope for additional money.
              I bought a Winchester model 70 with a leupold VX-I scope. I have no complaints with either.

Comment

Well I have a 7mm08 savage 11 with a nikon bdc and a howa 1500 22-250 with nikko but those guns don't kick. I just wasn't sure if the cheap scopes could handle the mule kick of a 338 win. I was trying to avoid spending thousands on a gun that only gets shot once in a blue moon but theres no use in having a long range gun without a long range scope.

Comment

Either rifle should serve you well. Both are quite accurate and highly reliable. I'm not a fan of package scopes either. If cost is an issue, perhaps you can get a used scope on ebay.

Your Nikon scope will be fine with .338 recoil. Some inexpensive scopes will be great on that rifle for both accuracy and reliability. A Vortex Diamondback for less than $200 is pretty amazing for the price. A Vortex Viper is top notch as is the Nikon Monarch. A Nikon Buckmaster will do the job. All of these are solid and reliable scopes, even on a .338. The more you spend on these, the better you will do for long range accuracy. The Leupold VXIII is hard to beat.

Comment

JMO~~ I would look for an Older used Savage Mod 110 in 30/06 or 338 and buy New Leupold VXIII Scope Mounts,Rings...That's an Elk Gun on a Budget.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad