Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a 7.62x39mm kill a hog within 50 or so yards? I would get a .223, but when there is a rush, forget about getting ammo. Wit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could a 7.62x39mm kill a hog within 50 or so yards? I would get a .223, but when there is a rush, forget about getting ammo. Wit

Could a 7.62x39mm kill a hog within 50 or so yards? I would get a .223, but when there is a rush, forget about getting ammo. With the 7.62, can buy bulk cheap ammo and don't have to worry about it (if it will kill a hog).

I need a hog gun because about a mile and a half behind our property there were 20 something hogs kill within 2 weeks. THEY ARE COMING!

Comment

On moderate sized hogs, at that range, with good shot placement, you will be fine. I would greatly prefer it over the .223.

Comment

Yes, and three shots for insurance.

Comment

Yes with the proper bullet.

Comment

jimbo - The double tap thing (except in this case it would be a double double tap).

Comment

the 150+ grain bullets are good for hogs. i would definitely prefer the 7.62 to a .223. the 7.62x39 is ballistically similar to the 30-30 and a great round for hogs especially sub 150 yards. yes the 7.62 has slightly less power but it has a better ballistic coefficient and you can get quality bullets that carry plenty of punch.

Comment

The 7.62x39R makes a fine Hog Round....But a 12Ga W/slugs is much better(JMO)In most cases NO Double-Tap needed..1-Oz of Lead(341Gr+/-)is better then 125Gr 30Cal, its all about a Clean Kill and YOUR Safety...just saying

Comment

What Mike0714 said. The 7.62 is a superb "hog" round. Your only concern should be bullet type. Stay away from FMJ ammo. Soft point first with HP as a second choice.
                  Kill 'em all!

Comment

Treestand- The thing with a twelve gauge is that mine is a relatively long cumbersome one. I am probably going to buy a mini thirty which would be a little easier to handle in the bush that a long shotgun. I cannot say it wouldn't be the most lethal, but a little cumbersome if you are standing in a yopon thicket. If I had a 20" barrel I would use it though (mine is a 28"). Also, I want an excuse to get a semi auto in a higher caliber than .22. A require meant for all my guns is that it be useful, not just a target gun. I have to make my money count.

Comment

7.62 x 39 will work fine within 150 yards and with good shot placement and a well constructed bullet.

Comment

Chewie
                        Look into the Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC. It's .270 caliber and works very well on hogs. I use it myself. The 7.62x39mm ammo is more available, but the 6.8mm ammo isn't THAT hard to locate.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to Trump
                          by crm3006
                          From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                          Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                          Today, 04:20 PM
                        • Trump
                          by Danbo
                          https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                          04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by FirstBubba
                          Ya know bhr!
                          I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                          Today, 03:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X