Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so, im leaving for basic training in late august. I would consider myself an outdoorsman to say the least, however im always int

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, im leaving for basic training in late august. I would consider myself an outdoorsman to say the least, however im always int

so, im leaving for basic training in late august. I would consider myself an outdoorsman to say the least, however im always interested on brushing up on my skills. im looking for a good book or book's that would help me put a stronger grasp (as well as give me an edge towards ballistics knowledge) on ballistics and bullet drop. as well as other military manuals. I want to learn as much as I can. I will be going active infantry. I appreciate any recommendations.

They have a really good grasp on how and what to teach. When I went in there was a few in my unit that knew it all and yet always seemed to get into trouble. Talk to your recruiter he should have some manuals or study material for rank uniforms and such. As for ballistics and such no need. If you can get your hands on a M16 or something like it so you can get the general idea how it comes apart that would help. They were not to popular 20 years ago so going in it was new to me. What ever branch you are going into they will teach you THEIR WAY. And that is important to remember its THEIR WAY. When I was in they had a small book that fit into your side pocket it was for new recruits not sure if they still have it but that something your recruiter might have. Good luck, God Bless and Thank you.

Comment

Your Drill Instructor will tell you everything you need to know about the operating end of an M-16/M-4.

Comment

If you have time its an oldie but a goodie The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns by Jack O' Connor.
        Ditto~~WAM....your DI will teach you every thing you will need....If you are THAT good sign-up for Sniper School you will get to know every thing about Ballistics,bullet/Co and Drop....Good luck and thank you for your Service.

Comment

As the others have stated, you will learn everything you need to know. You made a good choice as to enlist as 11X. From a fellow infantryman, I hope you dont get tagged to be an 11C. As for m4/m16, you will first learn to group with your weapon. Then you will do a 25 meter zero. Due to the balistics (they wont teach you how, remember it BASIC training). The 25m zero will put you dead on for out to 300m (250m for the m4). Its been almost 11 years since I went to basic, so a few thing may have changed a little bit, but as long as you listen, follow directions, keep your mouth shut, and be able to PT, you will be fine. Once you get to your first unit you should begin learning alot more.

Comment

I think your body going to need rest after the intense basic training. Your drill sergeant and your training could wear you down big time. Catch up on your reading when you’re on leave.
            Eat what ever they give you, get plenty of rest and stay safe!
            Good Luck!

Comment

Make sure you physically fit before you leave. Good luck.

Comment

run, run, run get in the best physical shape that you can. the rest will be taught to you

Comment

Lost lure,
                  What is wrong with 11C mortar crewman, or Indirect Fire Crewman as it used to be called? I built some good biceps, triceps and lats humping ammo all day and loss of hearing from those 4.2" mortars!

Comment

I have a friend who was in the army, he said during survival training they would weigh you and then after so many days in the wild with only a knife, flint and water bottle they would weigh you again. He said that a couple of backwoods boys in his class came out weighing more than when they went in, and this was in the '80s! So knowing outdoor skills and being exposed to hard work definitely will give you a leg up when it comes to basic.

Comment

When I was in basic training, our drill instructor said, "We can't make you do what we say. But we can make you wish that you had!" He was right.
                      Always remember that.

Comment

I went in a long time ago(almost 50yrs) but some generic things i can say is learn the 'military' way. Don't buck the system.
                        Learn all you can about job opportunities and what may interest you. If the military suits you, a career is one way to go. Always check out available benefits - school, Government jobs that recognize military service, etc. Sometimes generous re-up offers are made and they are something to be considered. Otherwise, try to learn a skill set that may be applicable in civilian jobs. Participate in any savings programs that may be available. Remember the friends you make, some friendships will last long after your military service.
                        Good luck, God's speed and thanks for serving.

Comment

WAM- I got nothing against you 11C's, my dad was one while he was in back in the 70's. You guys saved our asses a few times. And I feel the pain of the ones that got to carry the 60's plus the ammo around the mountains in Trashcanistan. I just think as an 11B you can experience more.

Comment

jhjimbo- Somof your advice is spot on, especially learning a skillset you can use in the civilian side of life. The military now has a Roth IRA option, which i think was a great move. While you are in college will be paid for (up to a certain ammount, you have to purchase your own book though). Now on to re-up bonus'. Good Luck with that. Unless you are Ranger qualified and serve in a Ranger regiment,or are special Forces, plus a few other random MOS' re-up bonus are non existant. A few months back I just gave up the next 10+ years of my life to the Army, and I got a whopping ZERO dollars.

Comment

well I really appreciate all your answers. Ill take it all in to great consideration. i don't wanna act like the "know it all" punk that nobody likes but im just interested on learning what i can especially the parts i find interesting. ive been on this site for quite some time now and yall always help me out. i appreciate that. and i appreciate the ones who served before me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad