Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As I said before I just bought my marlin 336 the question I have for you guys what do you think is better the laminate stock or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I said before I just bought my marlin 336 the question I have for you guys what do you think is better the laminate stock or

As I said before I just bought my marlin 336 the question I have for you guys what do you think is better the laminate stock or the walnut, not for how they look but for durability?

If you want Good looks Walnut! If you want "Durability" Go with Syn-stock,I have a Syn-Stock on my Rainy Day or Days Marlin Mod 30C-30/30 When wet NO warping or swelling, As for Laminate Stocks they are Heaver then Walnut.

Comment

Like Treestand said. All I would add instead of Laminate think Plywood. Stronger and more inert than Walnut.

Comment

Having fallen upon (and broken) the stock of a lever action at the grip, I favor a laminate for strength and durability. Factory-supplied walnut stocks finish well, though a replacement of figured walnut seems to have drifted beyond my range of affordability. I live in a rainy climate (Pacific Northwest) and laminates serve me well.

Comment

I picked walnut and S.S.for my 1895, because I liked the look of both S.S. and walnut, I really don't like synthetic, it is so durable, but there something about wood grain. As to laminate, I have no issues with it accept that I wish they gave different color options, since any color die combination is available. Wet conditions(rain) are not much of an issue where I live-snow here is dry as dust, so that is not much of an issue either. some day i will carve my own stock for this gun out of a nice piece of royal walnut, but that is down the road.

Comment

Laminate stocks are usually impregnated with an epoxy resin so they are extremely low maintenance. They are, however, also extremely heavy - perhaps the heaviest option available. For durability and light weight you'd be best to go with plastic. Though for aesthetics that choice would be the bottom of the barrel.

Comment

Laminated stocks are more stable than solid walnut, and in many cases are more attractive than very plain walnut.

Comment

If you want to see a photo of a beautiful piece of walnut on a rifle stock, go to the Blogs section and click on "The Stuff We Carry," by Dave Petzal.
                A pity that it's black and white.

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
                    by 99explorer
                    I am afraid Gen McInerney's legal opinion doesn't carry much weight against the words of the constitution, with emphasis on the word "only."...
                    Today, 03:39 PM
                  • Voter Fraud
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                    11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                  • Reply to Voter Fraud
                    by crm3006
                    Well, if the slimy bandicoot won't recognize that I know treason when my nose is rubbed in it, maybe we should just get another opinion?
                    "This
                    Today, 03:10 PM
                  • Reply to NitroStick ML
                    by PigHunter
                    Looks like a good site. I just joined as PHunter...
                    Today, 03:03 PM
                  • NitroStick ML
                    by jhjimbo
                    What do you think of the NitroStick by Federal to be used with the TC NitroFire ? The Powder and primer are in a plastic tube that is inserted in a ML...
                    Yesterday, 04:41 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X